• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia proposes no carry licenses

Wow ok not saying its not!!! I have my GWP or w/e its called! And im all for citizens arming themselves to protect one another. I just think instead of letting everyone go out, by a gun, and start packing that they should have some basic knowledge of the weapon and how to use it first. Would make me feel much safer. Matt im sure you, myself, dunkel, vanguard, all of us have basic understanding of weapons as well as respect for them. But I know many 21 year olds who would be out there packing heat cause they think they are some kind of a bada$$ and they would do more damage than good. Thats all im trying to say!

There is a difference in "should" and the role of government. There should be no hunger in the world but it is not the place of government to feed the world.

Some more:

Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

"The great object is that every man be armed." and "Everyone who is able may have a gun."
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson
Third President of the United States

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that … it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; … "
Thomas Jefferson
letter to Justice John Cartwright, June 5, 1824. ME 16:45.

There is a difference in "should" and the role of government. There should be no hunger in the world but it is not the place of government to feed the world.

I will agree with you there sir! My father and I were discussing this the other day...why focus on other countries when we have people starving here in the US. Again another topic for discussion. Good point though

It has, in fact, changed. And while it's very impressive that you're a criminal justice major, when you're wrong, you're wrong and your major doesn't make a wrong opinion correct. And it seems that, on this issue, you are either wrong or have not expressed yourself very well.

First of all, LEOs are notoriously misinformed when it comes to firearms laws in GA. But yes, this particular statement is correct. That is not what I was understanding you to be saying earlier.

Don't be so sensitive. I'm trying to educate you, but if you're going to get butthurt over it, this isn't going to work.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize Georgians are inherently less trustworthy than Vermonters, Alaskans, Wyomingites, or Arizonians. Please, can you elaborate on what other Constitutional rights we poor Georgians are not worthy of enjoying?

First of all, yes, we should do that, but that is not what we're talking about. Second, while I do believe that doing drugs is, at least, an implied right protected by the Constitution, it is not specifically spelled out like the right to keep and bear arms is.

Ah, so you're one of those. You probably support "common sense" gun control laws, too, huh?

You GO GUY!!!!

So Continuing this discussion forward, on the subject of training, who decides when a person has received enough training to make them "safe"? Is it simply showing the ability to load and unload while not pointing the firearm at yourself? Is it how to properly draw from a holster, acquire a target and squeeze off a few rounds, then re-holster again?

This is where the training issue becomes a problem. Deciding what is appropriate training that can be delivered in a reasonable amount of time, for an affordable price by enough qualified individuals at enough locations to make it convenient for all Law Abiding Citizens who wish to exercise their Right. See how quickly this can become a problem?

I've seen other states "training" requirements. My In-Laws have taken it in NC. I have friends in FL, etc.. The "training" is a joke. Plus, we have people here who claim they can't afford the current GWL fees so how are they going to be able to pay for the training? You don't think the state is going to provide this for free do you?

I am a huge fan of training. Real training. I don't have enough. I want more than I could afford to pay for right now. I tell everyone I discuss firearms with to seek out professional training by qualified trainers and to run the other way if the training has anything with the word TACTICAL in it. However, I do not want the State or Government to mandate that training is a requirement to exercise a right.

So Continuing this discussion forward, on the subject of training, who decides when a person has received enough training to make them "safe"? Is it simply showing the ability to load and unload while not pointing the firearm at yourself? Is it how to properly draw from a holster, acquire a target and squeeze off a few rounds, then re-holster again?

This is where the training issue becomes a problem. Deciding what is appropriate training that can be delivered in a reasonable amount of time, for an affordable price by enough qualified individuals at enough locations to make it convenient for all Law Abiding Citizens who wish to exercise their Right. See how quickly this can become a problem?

I've seen other states "training" requirements. My In-Laws have taken it in NC. I have friends in FL, etc.. The "training" is a joke. Plus, we have people here who claim they can't afford the current GWL fees so how are they going to be able to pay for the training? You don't think the state is going to provide this for free do you?

I am a huge fan of training. Real training. I don't have enough. I want more than I could afford to pay for right now. I tell everyone I discuss firearms with to seek out professional training by qualified trainers and to run the other way if the training has anything with the word TACTICAL in it. However, I do not want the State or Government to mandate that training is a requirement to exercise a right.

You all make valid points! And I agree that there would be issues with the "training" aspect of it. Thats just what I would like to see. Do I know or understand how it would be paid for? No I dont. I am simply saying that in my perfect world, people who carry would know what they are doing. lol Not realistic and obviously not very plausible but thats what I wold like to see. I didn't mean to say anything to cause problem or piss folks off either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I was just expressing mine.

I lived in Vermont, one of the free to carry states, for 4 years after college. There are as many idiots there as there are here in GA. The only difference there is that random violence, home invasion, car jacking, etc. rates are all significantly lower in Vermont than GA. Criminals know that in many areas in the state, someone NOT having a gun on them all the time is the exception.

Asking permission of a Constitutionally guaranteed right is insane and asinine.

I lived in Vermont, one of the free to carry states, for 4 years after college. There are as many idiots there as there are here in GA. The only difference there is that random violence, home invasion, car jacking, etc. rates are all significantly lower in Vermont than GA. Criminals know that in many areas in the state, someone NOT having a gun on them all the time is the exception.

Asking permission of a Constitutionally guaranteed right is insane and asinine.

I think im contradicting myself here. Im preaching about adding a required gun class which wold impose more gun control, yet I hate how the BATF makes u report and register weapons that 30 yrs ago wouldnt have been a second thought! On that note, I am starting to lean more towards what yall are saying. I carry everyday so I feel as though I could protect myself regardless of there being a required permit or not. And if crime goes up or down, again ill still be carrying and should have the ability to protect myself and those around me regardless of who is carrying or not. Maybe lifting it wouldn't be such a bad idea after all...idk im still kinda on the fence but the pro' s yall are talking about do make sense

Back
Top Bottom