• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need opinions on red dot selection

If you do have an astigmatism, you may need a prismatic optic.

Primary Arms The SLx 1x MicroPrism

Vortex Spitfire 1x

PRIMARY ARMS SLX COMPACT 1×20

Atibal SAP 1x Micro Prism

Athlon Midas TSP1

This is the one I am looking at.
That is a red dot so you’ll get the starburst effect more than likely. You need a prism optic with the etched reticle like the one below. It is what I have and there is no starburst effect.

Some folks with astigmatism can run a RDS just fine……..I do. I own a bunch of Aimpoint Micros and have no issues using them.

There are “levels” of astigmatism. Most folks with astigmatism can run a RDS, but some cannot.

As with most things, don’t let cookie cutter answers make your decision for you.

Primary Arms is running their 12% off sale today.

https://www.primaryarms.com/

Screenshot_20220913-233757_Chrome.jpg

I have astigmatism and run an Aimpoint PRO without issue. If I get lazy and stare at the dot, it turns into a comet. Maintaining a target focus and subconsciously superimposing the dot negates any comet effect, or at least my perception of it.

You lose the ability to run BUIS with a prism mounted as well, even a 1x. A QD mount makes that a moot point though.

I have astigmatism and run an Aimpoint PRO without issue. If I get lazy and stare at the dot, it turns into a comet. Maintaining a target focus and subconsciously superimposing the dot negates any comet effect, or at least my perception of it.

You lose the ability to run BUIS with a prism mounted as well, even a 1x. A QD mount makes that a moot point though.
This. The Aimpoint PRO is the way to go.

Good Lord. Quit telling people you can see your Aimpoint just fine with your astigmatism. Everyone has different eyeballs and astigmatisms affect everyone differently. Some can see red dots fine, some cannot. Some can see holographic sights better, some cannot. It will depend on YOU. If you want a perfect circle you will need something with an adjustable diopter or you will have to keep looking through optic after optic until you find one that works.

Typically, larger MOA dots will be cleaner for you. For me, with astigmatism, I need to get up around 6 MOA for a clean circle. Your mileage may vary. With that being said, I still run red dots and holographic sights because while it's not perfect, I would rather have the speed in certain instances. I can take a 6 MOA dot, and still make hits on face-sized targets at 100 yards with no magnification. You just need to figure out what your use case is but I wouldn't let a little starburst or funky shape dot automatically kill it as an option for you.

Back
Top Bottom