Response Letter From GA Senator Chambliss

Not from a individual to individual sale. This web site is proof enough. If you post a weapon here, any mention of FFL transfer, it will not sell even if it is a top of the line gun being sold for $2.00. Not to mention all the negative remarks. Gun dealers fill out the paperwork for the background check. When aproved the dealer sells you the gun. The dealer logs all the info of the sell of the weapon which including the serial number. Dealers must be able to prove the where-abouts of all weapon sold or in inventory. This is NOT a registation of the weapon. Georgia does not require firearm registation. This is the procedure as I understand it. However, this information can be used to track the firearm to the orignal owner. I myself prefer the sale of my gun be logged by a FFL dealer. A driver license or a CWP does in no way prove the use of the firearm. If I go through a FFL dealer and the sale is logged, I could care less as to what the buyer does with the gun. My hands are clean. Now, I am not saying that everyone on this site has a illegal underground weapon business. However, this is being done. Sells of weapons bought on the internet to felons, gangbangers, the underaged and dug dealers happen every day. I believe that undocumented internet sells will give the gun hater more fuel for the fire. JMTCW

I have already had a background check when I received my GFL. I fail to see the need in tracing a gun back to its original owner, as criminals would not be using a FFL to acquire the weapons. Good luck with your investigation of this site and the underground illegal gun sales.

Thank you for the explanation

demnemisis, Good for you. That speeds up the process. Read my post again. The feds can trace the weapon back to the ORIGINAL owner. Lets say that your gun was used in a murder. The buyer sends you a copy of his drivers licence and maybe a CCP. Documents have been and still can be counterfit. Now the gun has not been transfered out of your name and there is no way to track the gun to the buyer, (like wise if you buy a nontransfered gun).You will have some explaining to do if it was only transfered to you. The original owner can and have been sued by the victims family. If everything is on the up and up and neither parties have nothing to hide, then there shoudn't (won't) be a problem. So tell why $25.00 to transfer the weapon to the buyers name is such a big deal. It's good insurance.

Let me get this "Problem" with transfering weapons straight. This is how I Prefer to transfer a weapon. I DON'T CARE HOW YOU do it. It's a free country, so have at it. I posted my pistol for sale. I required the sale be made through a FFL dealer. That was it. Nothing more. Then I start getting all this flack from everyone as if I had spit in their face. They seemed to be offended by my post. Then came all the sarcastic remarks. Because of this, I felt the need to explain myself. My mention of the reluctance to transfer a weapon was just a observation. I'm not trying to force something down other peoples throat. I'm not writing new laws. I did not start this to upset anyone. I JUST POSTED MY PISTOL FOR SALE. Again, I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require a law enforcement to TRACE guns recovered in criminal investigations."

Last edited:
Not from a individual to individual sale. This web site is proof enough. If you post a weapon here, and any mention of FFL transfer, it will not sell even if it is a top of the line gun being sold for $2.00. Not to mention all the negative remarks. Gun dealers fill out the paperwork for the background check. When aproved the dealer transfers the weapon to you. The dealer logs all the info of the sell of the weapon which including the serial number. Dealers must be able to prove the where-abouts of all weapon sold, transfered, or in inventory. This is NOT a registation of the weapon. Georgia does not require firearm registation. This is the procedure as I understand it (which I did today 01/18/13). However, this information can be used to track the firearm to the orignal owner. I myself prefer the sale of my gun be logged by a FFL dealer. A driver license or a CWP does in no way prove transfer of the firearm. If I go through a FFL dealer and the sale is logged, I could care less as to what the buyer does with the gun. My hands are clean. Now, I am not saying that everyone on this site has a illegal underground weapon business. However, this is being done. Sells of weapons bought on the internet to felons, gangbangers, the underaged and dug dealers happen every day. I believe that undocumented internet sells will give the gun hater more fuel for the fire. JMTCW
everyone on this website that i have dealings with follows the law to the letter. some even go further than just the standard checking of GA issued I.D. and require bill of sales, and some folks on here wont even sell to someone without a CCW

also, many guns on here have sold via FFL, more than likely not the 80 dollar bolt action .22 or the hi point 9mm, but GA is big and alot of folks dont wanna travel more than a couple hundred miles for a firearm.

and thats a line of crap about being able to track it to the owner, most guns on here have probably traded hands like 4 or 5 times, just because trading is awesome. they may go to the first person who bought it from an FFL, but i feel like cops will give up after one or two attempts to follow the path (this aint law and order)

Good for you. That speeds up the process. Read my post again. The feds can trace the weapon back to the ORIGINAL owner. Lets say that your gun was used in a murder. The buyer sends you a copy of his drivers licence and maybe a CCP. Documents have been and still can be counterfit. Now the gun has not been transfered out of your name and there is now way to track the gun to the buyer. You will have so explaining to do. The original owner can and have been sued by the victims family. So tell why $25.00 to transfer the weapon to the buyers name is such a big deal. It's good insurance.

"Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to TRACE guns recovered in criminal investigations."
are you advocating the further encroachment upon a persons right via more federal and state level involvement in the purchase of a firearm?

if you think its such good insurance, go through an FFL everytime you buy a gun. and all the FFL records do is provide who originally purchased it.

and what is this nonsense?
Now the gun has not been transfered out of your name and there is now way to track the gun to the buyer. You will have so explaining to do. The original owner can and have been sued by the victims family

as far as i know, and what my lawyer brother and others have said, is if your questioned for any reason, you dont have to say a damn thing. why would a victims family sue you for buying a gun, selling it, and then later on used in a crime? that makes no sense what so ever. the burden of proof in this country is placed on the accusers, simply having purchased a firearm in the past does not make you suspect nor does it give anyone the right to harass you

its simple really. they ask if you bought the gun, which is a moot point because they supposedly have records, you can choose to answer that question. they can ask where the gun is, you can choose to answer that as well.

your making alot of assumptions here fella, and you put to much confidence in our law enforcement, lol

Good for you. That speeds up the process. Read my post again. The feds can trace the weapon back to the ORIGINAL owner. Lets say that your gun was used in a murder. The buyer sends you a copy of his drivers licence and maybe a CCP. Documents have been and still can be counterfit. Now the gun has not been transfered out of your name and there is now way to track the gun to the buyer. You will have so explaining to do. The original owner can and have been sued by the victims family. So tell why $25.00 to transfer the weapon to the buyers name is such a big deal. It's good insurance.

"Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to TRACE guns recovered in criminal investigations."

Does knowing the entire chain of ownership of a gun used in a murder make the victim any less dead? The buck stops at the person who pulled the trigger.

I have changed my wording in my past post. I do agree that if the seller of the gun had not transfered it to your name, or it was never in his name, it can only be traced to the original owner. That is if he had it transfered into his name. I don't have a lawyer brother so I don't know all the ins and outs about being sued. I just know what I have read in the past. As far as transfer, my in-laws are a FFL dealer and own a gun and outdoor business. So, I know about transfering weapons and why it's a good thing. I never once said that anyone on this site were buying guns for wrong doing. I never said anyone on this site was not transfering gun. I do not advocate any form of encroachment on anyones rights. I'm just as pissed off about the possibility of new gun laws as you and anyone else here. I guess your too pissed off about my post that you can't read the words and /or the whole sentence I posted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom