• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dogs.....

This is another copy from that other forum:

One of Robs neighbors went to work after the shooting at a local restaurant and low and behold who was there but those same cops.

The neighbor overheard the cops plotting and scheming as to how they were going to get away with it. The detective asked the shooter why he shot the dog in the first place and his resonse was (and I'm paraphrasing) " I don't know, I already had my gun drawn I guess"

That right there says volumes.

This also speaks volumes. When the employee of the restaurant told them that he was a neighbor they immediately stared grillimg him about Luke and tried everything under the sun to try and get this guy to say something negative about Luke, but all he would say was that Luke was the sweetest most loving dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly. They clammed up after they couldn't get what they wanted out of him.

This is corrupt and in so much as I can gather, this is a corrupt police department. People of Cobb County should be aware of who works for them.

This is a big part of why I am so pissed about this whole situation.....

This, and the accusations that the owner made on the other forum. He says that the cops have been going around to all his neighbors and trying to get them to make statements about the dogs "vicious" behavior in the past. No one will speak ill of his dog. They know this officer screwed up, and now they are trying to create a fiction to give him cover....

This situation is unacceptable to me. Cops shooting some dogs in some situations I can understand, but this one is over the top! This department has some problems. They should absolutely not be trying to manipulate neighbors and acquaintances into saying things to give them cover they don't deserve!

He (the owner) said in the story that he was in a rush, on his way to a hospital to see his first grandchild being born. While he was on the phone with his alarm company, he said he couldn't remember his password. He told the alarm company operator that, "I'll just wait here at the front door and when Cobb County shows up and give them my ID let them know I'm the homeowner it was a false alarm." However the police came to the back door where the dog was and shot the dog. The LE said that the dog chased them into the yard, but the owner said she was very gentle and never was aggressive...which is typical Lab personality.

It's very sad... I hope that the Cobb Co. LE take this seriously and look at additional training for their officers on how to handle this situation better. I am a dog lover and I could not imagine what it would be like to suffer what the owner did in the manner he did, however when it comes down to it LE are trying to do their job and its a very difficult job at times that requires good decision making ability and training. Overall they LE's do a great job at it, but then there are times like this that lessons can and should be learned.

Out of curiosity here... From the alarm company and officer's points of view. An alarm goes off, the guy who answers the company's call does not have the password, and he claims he is going to wait for CCPD by the front door then we wonder why the officer approached from the rear?

the three letters in front of MY posting read IMO. That is my opinion because I don't have an alarm system. Again, I say that if anyone comes into my home unannounced then they should be prepared for my reactions.
My perspective is as far as animals are concerned, no they are not human, but if a citizen were to shoot and kill a Police K9 dog, what is the punishment? This should be the same as far as I am concerned. I am an animal lover myself. Animals like humans are not expendable like toilet paper. I am not a cop hater, I respect the laws and law enforcement. Why didn't the LEO in this case apologize for his actions? Because it would have been an admission of guilt, that is why.
The ignorance comment was unwarranted and unwanted by the way. It is ok to disagree and have different opinions but it does not make me ignorant in any way to express my opinions. Just because you type something doesn't mean I agree with it, but I respect it because it is your opinion. I wouldn't call you ignorant because your opinion differs from mine. I would just call you a person with different opinions.

Last edited:
How fast does a human move? How fast is a dog? If a person was running flat out at an officer with a weapon in hand he would get a belly full of lead. Make no mistake, a dog's mouth is his weapon.

Are you kidding?

A Lab's mouth is a weapon like a Golden Retriever's is.... There is something wrong with any cop who thinks a Labrador Retriever will actually bite him.

This is another copy from that other forum:

One of Robs neighbors went to work after the shooting at a local restaurant and low and behold who was there but those same cops.

The neighbor overheard the cops plotting and scheming as to how they were going to get away with it. The detective asked the shooter why he shot the dog in the first place and his resonse was (and I'm paraphrasing) " I don't know, I already had my gun drawn I guess"

That right there says volumes.

This also speaks volumes. When the employee of the restaurant told them that he was a neighbor they immediately stared grillimg him about Luke and tried everything under the sun to try and get this guy to say something negative about Luke, but all he would say was that Luke was the sweetest most loving dog in the world and wouldn't hurt a fly. They clammed up after they couldn't get what they wanted out of him.

This is corrupt and in so much as I can gather, this is a corrupt police department. People of Cobb County should be aware of who works for them.

This is a big part of why I am so pissed about this whole situation.....

This, and the accusations that the owner made on the other forum. He says that the cops have been going around to all his neighbors and trying to get them to make statements about the dogs "vicious" behavior in the past. No one will speak ill of his dog. They know this officer screwed up, and now they are trying to create a fiction to give him cover....

This situation is unacceptable to me. Cops shooting some dogs in some situations I can understand, but this one is over the top! This department has some problems. They should absolutely not be trying to manipulate neighbors and acquaintances into saying things to give them cover they don't deserve!

The cover-up is ALWAYS worse than the action.

Are you kidding?

A Lab's mouth is a weapon like a Golden Retriever's is.... There is something wrong with any cop who thinks a Labrador Retriever will actually bite him.

I have had labs, shepherds, and mutts. Breed does not mean the dog will not bite.

8118_dog-bite-bar-chart.jpg

I worked aside a federal agency in the Lower 9th Ward in the Katrina aftermath and I did see some guy who I thought were a little too quick to shoot a dog IMO. I stopped one agent from shooting a German Shepherd that was just scared and I got her to a rescue group. I wanted to send her home but the group was based out of TX and I could not make the logistics work. I did say something foolish like "If you shoot that dog, you are next" but I hope I would better choose my words next time.

The fact is when you work around so many aggressive dogs in crappy areas, you tend to be quick on the trigger. The safety of the human trumps an animal's live every time.

Are you kidding?

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I can show you some very nice scar tissue from labs and goldens. Especially one particular golden. There's a reason I never wear shorts in public any more. You would be surprised with how much damage an 11 month old female golden can do in about 15 seconds. Why did she get me so bad? Because she was an 11 month old golden, so I didn't have my guard up. Lesson learned.

I have also learned that a red flag I now pay attention to is when the owner tells me how nice and non aggressive their dog is. It has saved me from more scars more than once.

Last edited:
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I can show you some very nice scar tissue from labs and goldens. Especially one particular golden. There's a reason I never wear shorts in public any more. You would be surprised with how much damage an 11 month old female golden can do in about 15 seconds. Why did she get me so bad? Because she was an 11 month old golden, so I didn't have my guard up. Lesson learned.

I have also learned that a red flag I now pay attention to is when the owner tells me how nice and non aggressive their dog is. It has saved me from more scars more than once.

yanking a dogs tail is not the appropriate greeting. Try a simple pat on the head next time.

Back
Top Bottom