• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why wouldn't you want to do a bill of sale?

I'm pretty sure a judge would dig a little deeper if it was a firearm over a shovel.

I still find it amusing that some of you are so against the government knowing what guns you own but totally ok with letting a stranger know.

Well usually when I buy something from someone, they know I have it. It's rare I buy guns from the gub'ment.

The lawyer can ask and then prove that is his/her signature.

Okay. You're the lawyer.

You: "Is this your signature on the bill of sale?"
Me: "No, it's not. It looks like someone tried to write my name, but that's not my signature."
You: "Are you sure? It looks like your signature to me."
My lawyer: "Objection, asked and answered."
Judge: "Sustained."
You: "this is your signature on the bill of sale!"
My lawyer: "Objection! Opposing counsel is testifying for the witness, he has given no proof of what this document is, and my witness/client does not recognize it! I also move to strike that statement from the record."
Judge: "Sustained, and struck from the record. Jury will disregard that statement."
You: "...."
Then you better hope that your guy backs it up enough, because you can't just enter things as evidence without establishing them as such--and you can't enter them as evidence if opposing counsel objects and wins.

Anyway, as I said, unless a document has a witness signature, or notarized, how do you prove who wrote those signatures? You hire a writing expert, perhaps? That's pretty costly. What if when I allegedly signed that bill of sale, I wrote in an odd fashion, or I was scrawling on a hood of a car?

Bill of sales are legally useless without a witness signature or notary, and a decent lawyer will keep you from introducing one in court as evidence.

If you're in small claims court representing yourself, maybe the judge will allow them. If you're in criminal court over who-shot-who with this weapon, or things where lawyers are involved--better get a witness signature, or a notary to stamp it.

Last edited:
What are we in court for?
The answer to that question will determine whether or not everything you just wrote actually "holds water"....i.e. all that "Objection" stuff.

Last edited:
What are we in court for?
The answer to that question will determine whether or not everything you just wrote actually "holds water"....i.e. all that "Objection" stuff.

Objections matter quite a bit in court, especially criminal court, lol, though they're vitally important in lawsuits as well.

I ask again, so you wouldn't expect someone that sold you a stolen gun to make it right? Would you expect someone that sold you a faulty gun to make it right?

And please explain to me where your loss of liberty is, in me keeping a record of my transaction. I'm not talking a bill of sale, but notes of who I traded with? There is no loss of liberty.

Luke

From what you've said your 'Notes' are just as detailed if not more so than what a lot of people want on a bill of sale. I for one won't be giving my information to someone i don't know. If someone has the gun i just can't live without but they require a bill of sale, well, ill ask them to do an FFL transfer at a gun shop. If they refuse then i guess ill just die...

Back
Top Bottom