• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are there any alternatives to Window 10 out there?

How?

Without buying the Office Suite?

I have all the Office apps, but even they are "in the cloud".. I need to download and store an Excel file, and I can't because I don't have Excel "locally."

I need to send the file to someone, and all I can send is a link to a cloud based file.
I use open office it is free and you can use it with all of the office products.

I use open office it is free and you can use it with all of the office products.

I installed Libre, which is the current iteration of open office. It works, except if you get into calculations in Excel the Microsoft and Libre versions are not fully compatible.

Libre claims it's fully compatible, we will see.

I used to use Open Office for all my WP stuff. Guess I will be going back to it.

How?

I have all the Office apps, but even they are "in the cloud".. I need to download and store an Excel file, and I can't because I don't have Excel "locally."

I need to send the file to someone, and all I can send is a link to a cloud based file.

You should be able to log into your Office 365 account and see an option to download the program for desktop install as well.

You should be able to log into your Office 365 account and see an option to download the program for desktop install as well.

I can download the file, and see it in my "downloads" folder. The file will not open because Excel is not installed locally, Office is "in the cloud" with the files, and there is no other program that will open the files.

When I check the default programs for Excel extensions, they are blank (or were until I installed Libre).

If I want to stay with a Microsoft program, I have to buy Office and install it on my computer.

I bought it and installed it on another computer and I'm trying to figure out how to load it on this computer.

If Libre version of Excel works out, I'm not going to worry about it. The open source WP is fine for my purposes,

How?

My family and I use Libre Office. https://www.libreoffice.org/.
I use it to create spreadsheets and documents. I can save them as MS office files.
It's free, but they accept donations.

How?

You can install locally by logging into your Microsoft account and selecting the other install options.

Untitled.png

That should give you the option to download the apps onto your PC.

You can install locally by logging into your Microsoft account and selecting the other install options.

View attachment 2348878

That should give you the option to download the apps onto your PC.

Nope, just gives me the option to buy premium.

I have MS account, and paid for Excel but I can't log into it.

Not sure then... I'm pretty sure if you own 365 you can download it locally as well. Otherwise you wouldn't use it offline in a laptop (which I do all the time).

As others have mentioned though, you can use other programs to edit Excel files, and they should be compatible so you can still share them with other Excels users.

Not sure then... I'm pretty sure if you own 365 you can download it locally as well. Otherwise you wouldn't use it offline in a laptop (which I do all the time).

You gave me an idea.

You are correct, I cannot access Excel or my files off line.

I don't ever need too, but it's just another symptom of the problem.

i'm going to try Libre and see how that works out.

As others have mentioned though, you can use other programs to edit Excel files, and they should be compatible so you can still share them with other Excels users.
Other programs like Open Office and Libre Office can read and write MSOffice file and are just as, or more, powerful, and can be very look-and-feel similar. But there can also be subtle differences. I've noticed mostly with Excel - in complex formulas or odd ball case things can work differently. Or course, this may have been with older versions.

Back
Top Bottom