• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you guys think.............NM I got a .44 magnum instead.

It wasn't a contest. We both agree a .243 is minimum for deer. Using that energy basis as a minimum, I believe a .357 to be far less than ideal for deer when .44 is so readily available. We apparently differ on that point. World goes around and all that.
Keep shooting straight. :yo:

I guess u missed his point, sure there are better rounds than the 357 for dear, but 357 is enough for deer. There are better rounds than 243, or 30/30 or 44 marlin for deer but they all will get the job done if you do your part and stay with in the effective range. Most deer killed in Georgia are shot at less than 65 yards.(yes, yes, I know some of you regularly shoot them at 500 yards). At shots 75 yards and under 357 in plenty. I perfer the 44magnum or larger because I like the option to shoot more than 75 yards, however when I am hunting an area that only offers less than a 75 yard shot I take a 10mm, 357 or 44 special loaded to 25,000psi.

I guess u missed his point, sure there are better rounds than the 357 for dear, but 357 is enough for deer. There are better rounds than 243, or 30/30 or 44 marlin for deer but they all will get the job done if you do your part and stay with in the effective range. Most deer killed in Georgia are shot at less than 65 yards.(yes, yes, I know some of you regularly shoot them at 500 yards). At shots 75 yards and under 357 in plenty. I perfer the 44magnum or larger because I like the option to shoot more than 75 yards, however when I am hunting an area that only offers less than a 75 yard shot I take a 10mm, 357 or 44 special loaded to 25,000psi.
Not at all. As mentioned a .22 will kill deer. As a reminder, this was my post.
I like to have close to 1,000 ft lbs min at impact so for me, no. Can you kill a deer with one? Of course. Is it even remotely the most effective? No.
You'd "think" there's nothing to really debate in such a statement.
To which the insightful reply was ...
I call BS
From there lots of tail chasing ensued. ;)
Use whatever you are proficient with that will get the job done as quickly and humanely as possible.
Since OP got a Ruger, anyone know the chamberings for their handgun models specifically called "Hunter"?
There's a reason for that. :)
OP made an undeniably better choice.

Not at all. As mentioned a .22 will kill deer. As a reminder, this was my post.
You'd "think" there's nothing to really debate in such a statement.
To which the insightful reply was ...

From there lots of tail chasing ensued. ;)
Use whatever you are proficient with that will get the job done as quickly and humanely as possible.
Since OP got a Ruger, anyone know the chamberings for their handgun models specifically called "Hunter"?
There's a reason for that. :)
OP made an undeniably better choice.

Well they got a 22 hunter and it sure isn't for deer, all ruger hunter handguns are set up for scopes. (that surely doesn't mean the non hunter models are not suited for hunting).
Your statement (I like to have close to 1,000 ft lbs min at impact so for me) would exclude the 44 mag with factory ammo unless you are shooting deer at point blank range. and agreed he picked the better round for deer, he could also have picked a 454 and done even better, I guess my question is what is your point? that 44 is better than 357 for deer, ok i agree with that. but why state the obvious...

Well they got a 22 hunter and it sure isn't for deer, all ruger hunter handguns are set up for scopes. (that surely doesn't mean the non hunter models are not suited for hunting).
Your statement (I like to have close to 1,000 ft lbs min at impact so for me) would exclude the 44 mag with factory ammo unless you are shooting deer at point blank range. and agreed he picked the better round for deer, he could also have picked a 454 and done even better, I guess my question is what is your point? that 44 is better than 357 for deer, ok i agree with that. but why state the obvious...
Because the thread was originally about whether or not the .357 was suitable?

There are plenty of factory rounds that are "close to" ( there's a reason I put those 2 words in there) at the distances (<25 yards) I will shoot. And compared to a .357, there is no comparison. Again, not sure why this is a debate.

Internet strikes again, I guess.

Because the thread was originally about whether or not the .357 was suitable?

There are plenty of factory rounds that are "close to" ( there's a reason I put those 2 words in there) at the distances (<25 yards) I will shoot. And compared to a .357, there is no comparison. Again, not sure why this is a debate.

Internet strikes again, I guess.

I guess the debate is: you think the 357 isn't suitable and I have taken enough deer with a 357 to know it is.
and I guess if you think 800 lbs is close to 1000 lbs at 25 yards that might be true.( is your acceptable engery 800 ft lbs or 1000 lbs at POI)

I guess the debate is: you think the 357 isn't suitable and I have taken enough deer with a 357 to know it is.
and I guess if you think 800 lbs is close to 1000 lbs at 25 yards that might be true.( is your acceptable engery 800 ft lbs or 1000 lbs at POI)
How in the world are you translating "not most effective" to "isn't suitable"?
There are several loads that are close to 1,000 pounds at <25 yards (infinitely closer than a .357, which is the point) but I'm guessing you know that.
You'd think stating a .44 was more suitable for deer hunting than a .357 was akin to disparaging somebody's mother around here. :lol:

There are several loads that are close to 1,000 pounds at <25 yards (infinitely closer than a .357, which is the point) but I'm guessing you know that.
You'd think stating a .44 was more suitable for deer hunting than a .357 was akin to disparaging somebody's mother around here. :lol:

Hey,don't be disparaing my Mama. lol, I guess I mis read your post and thought you were saying it wasn't suitable. I agree the 44 mag is much better than the 357 for deer. So how do you feel about them ugly glocks

LOL... Bypass could? Just use one'em 50's. Prob the most "effective" as far as a humane kill. kiddin around but if you video??

Hey,don't be disparaing my Mama. lol, I guess I mis read your post and thought you were saying it wasn't suitable. I agree the 44 mag is much better than the 357 for deer. So how do you feel about them ugly glocks
Hey, ugly girls need love too. Doesn't mean they need to be loved by me. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom