• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you guys think.............NM I got a .44 magnum instead.

That's really a problem more than anything else. I have lived in 5 states growing up and I have never seen such anemic deer in all my life here. Virginia and Ohio had massive deer, I mean big deer. I have spent time hunting in Michigan in my early days and deer where nothing short of humongous. I the lack of natural predators and the competition for food is is just killing the heard size. I mean the deer here are almost dog size. I have seen mule deer in Oklahoma almost the size of elk. What needs to happen is a massive culling of the herds so that there is not so much competition for food. I heard down next to the Race Track there are some pretty big deal but there was some genetic modification going on there and that keeps the deer pretty substantial. That information comes from two hunters who rent land down that way to hunt on. Pretty much every deer I have seen the base tine diameter is just to small. I almost feel sorry for the deer here. I won't hunt them simply for the fact that the deer are just to small. Maybe the rise of coyotes will thin out the heard but then in lies another problem. To many coyotes will start infesting the suburban areas and feed of trash simply for fact that it's easier to catch than deer. Something needs to be done to strengthen the population so that there will be more trophy sized bucks out there.
It has nothing to do with population. I assume you've never lived in Florida or Texas? Now THOSE are small deer. In general, the farther south you go the smaller the deer. Just look within this state .While local minerals and diet do have an impact, there are countless subspecies of whitetail in north America and genetically, that 175# Georgia buck is literally a different critter than that 275# Alberta hoss .

Proving your point?
The point that you dont have a clue what muzzle and 100 yard energy a 357 vs44mag and 41 mag have?? Glad I could help you with that then.

Then stick to big heavy hitting calibers at 25 yards. I am quite good with a revolver. I shoot hot handloads at 20, 30, and 40 yards all summer to prepare for deer season. Much like I do with my deer rifles. Which nowdays are all sub 30 cal except for 1 in 308. I shoot litterally hundreds of rounds a year to make sure when the time comes I can make the shot.

The point is....357 is adequate in capable hands.
lol .If I ever made any of those statements you'd have a point .But since I didn't....
You're assuming quite a bit. Take a breathe and go read what I wrote instead of what you'd like to argue with.

If GeauxLSU GeauxLSU son can shoot my S&W 4 inch Ported 500 mag, I believe with proper instruction, you can handle the 460...Just sayin!
Point of clarification. Wasn't my son. He wasn't even there. It was @Ringleader 's son and his friend. My son at the time was sub 100# and would NOT have pulled that trigger. ;)
The .460 was so much heavier it was actually noticeably easier to handle IMO.
Both had off the chart fun factor scores. :becky:

Point of clarification. Wasn't my son. He wasn't even there. It was @Ringleader 's son and his friend. My son at the time was sub 100# and would NOT have pulled that trigger. ;)
The .460 was so much heavier it was actually noticeably easier to handle IMO.
Both had off the chart fun factor scores. :becky:
My Bad, I stand corrected!

It has nothing to do with population. I assume you've never lived in Florida or Texas? Now THOSE are small deer. In general, the farther south you go the smaller the deer. Just look within this state .While local minerals and diet do have an impact, there are countless subspecies of whitetail in north America and genetically, that 175# Georgia buck is literally a different critter than that 275# Alberta hoss .
Could very well be. I just figured it was over population. I just know they are tiny.

Who's argueing? I tried to agree with you and you twisted your logic......good luck in the woods, I'm out you win.
It wasn't a contest. We both agree a .243 is minimum for deer. Using that energy basis as a minimum, I believe a .357 to be far less than ideal for deer when .44 is so readily available. We apparently differ on that point. World goes around and all that.
Keep shooting straight. :yo:

Could very well be. I just figured it was over population. I just know they are tiny.
The herd is actually very healthy. Roughly a third is taken out each year and the population has varied from 500k to a million (real rough numbers) over the last 20 or so years. The carrying capacity has. Plenty of breathing room. North/middle Georgia deer are big enough to eat south Florida deer. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom