• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you guys think.............NM I got a .44 magnum instead.

Why thanks
You are quite welcome. I've been married 39 years and I've been surprised by my wife's abilities many times. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 15 years ago but she said right away this isn't going to stop me, it's slowed her down but it definitely hasn't stopped her. She constantly amazes me, I'm a lucky man to have her by my side.

You are quite welcome. I've been married 39 years and I've been surprised by my wife's abilities many times. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 15 years ago but she said right away this isn't going to stop me, it's slowed her down but it definitely hasn't stopped her. She constantly amazes me, I'm a lucky man to have her by my side.
What a woman.

Makes sense. Not very humane to kill with anything under 500 ft lbs of energy imo though. But there are quite a few deer roaming the woods nowadays in Georgia. Maybe too many but you'll never hear this cat complain. We may all need those deer at end times to avoid starvation.
That's really a problem more than anything else. I have lived in 5 states growing up and I have never seen such anemic deer in all my life here. Virginia and Ohio had massive deer, I mean big deer. I have spent time hunting in Michigan in my early days and deer where nothing short of humongous. I the lack of natural predators and the competition for food is is just killing the heard size. I mean the deer here are almost dog size. I have seen mule deer in Oklahoma almost the size of elk. What needs to happen is a massive culling of the herds so that there is not so much competition for food. I heard down next to the Race Track there are some pretty big deal but there was some genetic modification going on there and that keeps the deer pretty substantial. That information comes from two hunters who rent land down that way to hunt on. Pretty much every deer I have seen the base tine diameter is just to small. I almost feel sorry for the deer here. I won't hunt them simply for the fact that the deer are just to small. Maybe the rise of coyotes will thin out the heard but then in lies another problem. To many coyotes will start infesting the suburban areas and feed of trash simply for fact that it's easier to catch than deer. Something needs to be done to strengthen the population so that there will be more trophy sized bucks out there.

There was a thread asking would a .357 be big enough to hunt deer here. Absolutely. You might have to track it every bit of 20 years but yes on these deer a 357 will do the trick all day long,

So a .243 is low end at 100 yards but you are defending find something with 1/2 to 2/3 that energy at the muzzle? You're kind of proving my point....
And lol, I don't shoot a handgun at 100 yards. 25 would be max for me at deer. I'm a fairly horrible handgun shot.
I'm glad you've had unmitigated success with the .357. Like the saying goes, keep doing what works for you. OP made the right and most logical/versatile choice for a hunting arm.
(Sorry, it's a .30 Herrett. Guess spell check got me.)
Proving your point?
The point that you dont have a clue what muzzle and 100 yard energy a 357 vs44mag and 41 mag have?? Glad I could help you with that then.

Then stick to big heavy hitting calibers at 25 yards. I am quite good with a revolver. I shoot hot handloads at 20, 30, and 40 yards all summer to prepare for deer season. Much like I do with my deer rifles. Which nowdays are all sub 30 cal except for 1 in 308. I shoot litterally hundreds of rounds a year to make sure when the time comes I can make the shot.

The point is....357 is adequate in capable hands.

I’ve seen what a .357 can do. I hit that bastard deer in the noodle then he’s done. I don’t shoot animals but hitting him within 50 yards with the desert eagle is no problem

F549BE35-1861-4C05-9EB3-21358345DDBC.jpeg

That's really a problem more than anything else. I have lived in 5 states growing up and I have never seen such anemic deer in all my life here. Virginia and Ohio had massive deer, I mean big deer. I have spent time hunting in Michigan in my early days and deer where nothing short of humongous. I the lack of natural predators and the competition for food is is just killing the heard size. I mean the deer here are almost dog size. I have seen mule deer in Oklahoma almost the size of elk. What needs to happen is a massive culling of the herds so that there is not so much competition for food. I heard down next to the Race Track there are some pretty big deal but there was some genetic modification going on there and that keeps the deer pretty substantial. That information comes from two hunters who rent land down that way to hunt on. Pretty much every deer I have seen the base tine diameter is just to small. I almost feel sorry for the deer here. I won't hunt them simply for the fact that the deer are just to small. Maybe the rise of coyotes will thin out the heard but then in lies another problem. To many coyotes will start infesting the suburban areas and feed of trash simply for fact that it's easier to catch than deer. Something needs to be done to strengthen the population so that there will be more trophy sized bucks out there.

Trophy hunting is exactly what has ruined the deer here. When I was growing up we were all meat hunters, and the limit was 2. You had only 2 doe days a year during gun season. Now there are few of us meat hunters left. Trophy management ruined the herd.

Back
Top Bottom