• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you pass on a good deal if it requires a Bill of Sale?

Ask yourself this, if a BOS is so "silly and useless" why do certain ppl. refuse to do one?

The same reason I'd refuse to dance a jig as a condition of a sale. Because its silly and wastes my time and insults my character. If my word and a firm handshake isn't enough for you, I'll do business with someone else who trusts me.

Which means you did? If so i would be ashamed to show myself on here. Do you always do what obummer tells ya to? Better yet go suck a ****

i1.kym_cdn.com_photos_images_newsfeed_000_003_866_nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

I feel more like spreading a little knowlege and (hopefully) wisdom tonight so let me give it a shot,

For those of you who think a BoS is a legal requirement...it is NOT!

Purchasing of Firearms
Georgia has only 2 laws that regulate the purchasing of firearms. All other purchasing laws come from Federal law. The BATFE has a reference page that explains those laws (at that site, when the BATFE says "licensed" they mean firearm dealers and "unlicensed" means private individuals).

Straw Purchase / Anti-Bloomberg Law - Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. (16-11-113)

Furnishing a Pistol to a Minor - It is illegal to sell or give a pistol or revolver to a person under 18 years old. Possession of handguns by minors is only allowed as explained in the Possession section above. (16-11-101.1)

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

The BATFE has this to say about transfersa between unlicensed persons:

Q: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?
When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#private-record-keeping

So there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to do ANY documentation of a sale between private individuals. So let's stop THAT bull **** now.

A private seller does NOT GET TO WRITE DOWN AND KEEP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION. He knows now I own valuable things and knows where I live. Big absolutely not.

My question was an honest one and I certainly did not vote for the current president. Part of selling a firearm is an honest attempt to determine the person is not a felon and buying with malicious intent. For my comfort level, that is looking at a Georgia WCL. I feel that a bill of sale is a CYA in the event something happens down the line with the gun and someone comes knocking on my door if I'm the original purchaser. To date, I've never had anyone with an issue whatsoever doing a bill of sale. If someone wasn't willing to put their address on a bill of sale, I wouldn't want to do the sale anyway. If your opinion is different, that is ok.

I've only been on the forum for a couple of months and thought this was a good place full of fairly tolerant people. I'm pretty surprised at the responses implying I'm stupid or a liberal (far from it) for asking a serious question. Most of the 'answers' given were not really answers. Many were simply "I'll move on".

can I have your home address please?

Next we have the "A BoS will protect me from legal action" school of thought. WRONG! A piece of paper, written(or printed) by a private citizen who claims it was signed by another private citizen is only slightly less useful than toilet paper. The toilet paper won't give you paper cuts on your ass. No document signed without proper witness/notarization is worth the paper it was written on.

I can buy a gun from you, kill someone with it and using the info on the BoS with your address, return the gun to either your property oreven your neighbors so that it when it's found it looks like YOU were trying to dispose of or hide it. Think anyone is going to believe your BoS wwith my denial and your possession? All I have to say is that we did a deal on something else altogether and you must have used my info to dummy up another BoS. Or in reality I just act shocked and say I gave you my info but have no idea how you used it. The inference that you dummied the BoS will be made quickly without my input.

Or:

I can meet you, sell you one gun and either get you to sign some vague BoS or just see and memorize your name and DL # and write them down before I forget, then write out a BoS using your info and left hand sign it saying I sold you a totally different gun, use that gun to murder someone, come to your house when you are at work (remember you told me you couldn't meet me thursdays cause you work late) and of course I have your address from your BoS on the real sale, toss the gun in your shed, garage, trash, truck bed etc. Then tell the cops I sold it to you and show my BoS. I'm covered...right?

The bottom line is a BoS is a PoS. Period.

What harm can a BoS do?

Now that I think I've sown that there is NO GOOD that it can do, let's talk about the harm.

First, it gives information to people you really don't know are trustworthy with that info. FULL Name, address, DL# maybe. Add that to the already gleaned info of phone number, make and model vehicle and a rough idea of work schedule from working out the terms of the meet. ALso, most of us chat with each other a bit so when I leave a meet I have an idea of what kind of guns you probably have and whenther you have a lot or little money in your collection. So now I know when you won't be home, where home is an whether or not the score would be worth the trip. Oh, I won't be over tomorrow, that would be too obvious. But, thanks to your BoS, I'll visit while you are at work sometime soon. Thanks for the info.

Of course, there are other things I can get from that info too. Even though Georgia stopped using the SSN on the DL, I can still use that DL# for id, I can go online to the GA Dept of Drivers services and ussing your DL# and address I do believe I can get a copy of the DL mauiled to your home. From there, I just pick it up from the mail and enjoy.

Knowledge is power. You can't have mine.

Why do right thinking gun owners actively hate BoS's?

The left wants to track and document all gun transfers. Why? Because they want to register and eventually sieze all guns from private citizens. Don't believe it? Then you're a dumbass and shouldn't be carrying a lethal weapon. You lack the common sense to be armed with anything more dangerous than a rubber band gun and even that's iffy.

So, whenever we buy from a gun store or pawn shop we fill out a 4473. PRESENTLY the law requires only that those be kept on file...forever. Why? Because they know that at some point the government CAN demand them. The law doesn't allow that yet but the existense of those documents is not an accident. There is NO reason to keep them on file other than that the government will be able to at some point use them to start tracing guns. Period. And I hopw you can see how tenuous the stability of the laws protecting our freedom is.

Why for ****s sake would we voluntarily do the same thing to each other...to ourselves?

When we transfer a weapon from me to you to him to her to Bob, to Jim, to Joe.etc...we "launder" those guns. We wash away the taint of government tracing. Now the BoS's aren't by any means iron clad or even half-ass as far as tracking but when/if the time ever does come that someone kn ocks on your door with a 4473 in hand demanding your X and you run to hand him your BoS with your slightly sweaty, quivering fingers, you are a traitor to freedom.

A BoS is just a security blanket for those who lack the courage to face the uncertainty that comes hand in hand with freedom.

Back
Top Bottom