• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun Aiming

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat post, if it is please post the thread that it has been discussed in before. I have asked "Do you aim a handgun with both eyes open or one eye closed?" before...

My question now is...
From a defensive standpoint, is it better to aim with both eyes open or one eye closed? I know that it really comes down to which way you can shoot better, but if you're used to shooting with one eye closed, you could train yourself to shoot with both open if it would be of more benefit. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I close both eyes.

All joking aside - I believe it's better to learn with both eyes open for defensive shooting. Your periphereal (spelling - i suck at it) vision is much better and you can see movement better.

You will always be better off if you can learn to shoot with both eyes open.

From a defensive standpoint, you do not want to lose 50% of your vision.

That being said, some folks have a hard time learning to shoot with both eyes open. If its hard, start off by squinting your non dominant eye. The more you practice it, the easier it will become.

I shoot USPSA and if I am taking a really long shot, then I will close (or mostly close) my weak eye for that one shot.

depends upon which dominate eye you have.

I shoot right handed but am left eye dominate.... I've learned to shoot shotguns with both eyes open.. when I shot Bullseye Matches( single hand precision shooting) I would use a patch(hung on my shooting hat) to cover my left eye but had both eyes open.. this left me with less strain.

Last edited:
I started shooting handguns with both eyes open after a few USPSA matches. Took a little getting used to, but I shoot about the same either way. That being said, I do still close my left eye for bullseye shooting. So I guess I'm not much help- semi-autos both eyes, bullseye one eye.

Back
Top Bottom