• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many Pmags do you REALLY need? Why?

What's up with the X amount PER gun? Just curious. Some of you guys have ten or so rifles.

Thinking along the lines of supplying multiple people? Multiple calibers?

Me personally, I have 10 mags that I use for work that get beat to crap. Then at home I keep 4 loaded mags, 4 unloaded (rotated with the loaded) and 1 in the gun. Once i do setup a personal kit i only plan to carry 4 in pouches.
Then I have 5 20 round mags for the "marksman" setup. Different ammo so in a rush I won't confuse the two.

I so rarely shoot now that I could likely need as few as 50/firearm? But as already discussed it ain't about need. I've sold a couple of LR/DPMS 7.62 mags to a friend for what I paid for them.

I can't replace them for that though, so I in reality lost on the deal. It was my choice though, so I ain't worried about it. I've bought six 5.56 mags for about twice what they sold for a few weeks ago. Again my choice, I can live with $22.00 ea on them.

I bought them because they were there. I can use them and won't lose sleep over the extra cost.

I'm an advid camper and hiker so I'm not a big fan of weight. If I'm on the run from Zombies, I will only carry the bare minimum. I have one AR with two mags, iron sights, but as much ammo as I can carry. Yes, I may have to reload my mags, but I think that's better than carrying all those mags and ammo. Plus, the money I save on mags allows me to buy more ammo.

Only problem with that theory is the plastic in PMags has a shelf life. They will not still be around for your future offspring to use.

What shelf life? Why would the plastic in a PMAG breakdown anytime soon if it's just sitting on a shelf??

I'd think, sitting in a Residential Storage Container or on a shelf in somebody's basement, a steel mag would rust out before a PMAG would breakdown due to humidity issues.

Anybody watch that "Life After People" series? According to scientists, plastic is going to be around long after our concrete and steel structures disolve to dust.

Are you saying that of steel and plastic magazines that are used on a regular basis, the PMAGs will breakdown first?

I'm not being a ****. I really am curious what your thoughts on this are.

And I agree, enough for grandchildren is a good idea.

Also, I can't find it right now, but I seem to remember the old rule was that a soldier needed to carry at least 200 rounds to be considered prepared (I thought it was the "28 rules of ranging", but looked and that wasn't it) ... so that's seven magazines?

The basic load is 210 rounds by the book. But it all just depends on the enemy situation, or your position. I only carried 4, because I was a squad leader and had other stuff to carry. Lower rifleman might carry even more than the basic load

What's up with the X amount PER gun? Just curious. Some of you guys have ten or so rifles.

Thinking along the lines of supplying multiple people? Multiple calibers?

Me personally, I have 10 mags that I use for work that get beat to crap. Then at home I keep 4 loaded mags, 4 unloaded (rotated with the loaded) and 1 in the gun. Once i do setup a personal kit i only plan to carry 4 in pouches.
Then I have 5 20 round mags for the "marksman" setup. Different ammo so in a rush I won't confuse the two.

I rotate mags too but I have been reading that it really is not necessary, at least in pistols. Apparently the compressing and de compressing of springs is what wears them out and not so much just keeping them compressed. Would AR mags be any different?

I think 10 per rifle is good.. I like having 20 rounders for that set up too..not that I personally shoot any better with them, lol.

I have a bunch because I feel like you can never have too many magazines or too much ammo.

But the way I figure it, if I'm ever in a situation (God forbid) that requires me to defend myself or my family, and I have to run through more than 2 or 3 fully loaded magazines, then I've done something wrong and I have bigger problems.

Back
Top Bottom