LEO Encounter

I think you did the right thing. That said I might have asked if I could disarm him too. Then joked about it and maybe said how about I promise not to shoot you and you promise not to shoot me? Probably would have gotten a ticket for speeding but maybe not. I think alot of it comes down to attitude/demeanor.
Bravo to you sir for open carry and for being a reasonable guy.

Great story, LH!

You handled it like a gentleman and scholar.

I would have tried to do the same thing.

Cool story. I would have probably handled the same.

Just because you have a right to do or not do something, doesn't always mean it's what you should do. Get respect, give respect. If the LEO had been an arse from the start, there might be a reason to handle differently.

It has nothing to do with respect!!!!!...My son is a LEO!!.......I am the biggest PRO LEO out here but..........to Stateline's point there are other ways of approaching instead of just giving up and being disarmed. Do you really think that every single LEO out there is a firearms expert?? Far from it......there are more police officers, deputies and feds that only handle their weapon on qualification week and that's it. When you carry a gun on your side every day and know the minimum required and no more.....that to me is dangerous. Sorry, it is not a disrespect issue, it is a SAFETY issue for me. You all might disagree, and that's fine. I am not trying to be an ass about it nor would I with the officer.

Leatherhead, you did good. Obviously your story MAY get others to think the same, which may result in the same type treatment and your resolve. On the other hand, as you have seen here, there will be a couple that will do opposite of what you did, and most probably their encounter will not end the same. Nonetheless, you did good.

Maybe I would, IDK until I'm in that situation. If I'm working then I am in a level 2 retention holster. You need to know how it works. Lots of people don't even know that they exist......let alone how they work. It's a tough call, but I would do what ever I could being respectful, without letting someone else touch my firearm. Hopefully I won't be put in a similar situation.

Back
Top Bottom