• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Okay who likes Government Mule?

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
Maybe I'm late to the party on this one. About 10 years ago I heard the Government Mule version of 30 Days in the Hole and it was awesome. Very different from the Humble Pie version but still damn good. Recently I've watched videos of their versions of Soul Shine and Shine on You Crazy Diamond. Now Shine on... is one of my all time favorite Floyd tunes and I was kinda skeptical at first. But they really did a damn good job on it. These guys have even covered Prince. They might be the best all around band ever. ( Well since Lemmy dead and Motorhead no longer exists.) But anyway I'm behind the group on GM. Are they still together and still touring? Because I'd pay money to go see them and that's saying a lot these days.

Warren Hayes is one of the best, hardest working, and well respected guitarist in rock today. yes, plenty of people can take exception to that statement but I'm going to back it up... (http://www.warrenhaynes.net/shows/, http://mule.net/upcoming-shows/). I think he is also doing some shows with ZZ Top this summer. This guy plays guitar with everyone. He will be in ATL twice this year. I've already got balcony seats to see Govt Mule at the Tabernacle on Sept 23rd. He is also doing a Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration at Chastain this month, June 24th.

Also check out Xmasjam.com. This is his annual benefit in Asheville NC. In '07 I was in the front row and saw Peter Frampton at the Xmas jam. Check out the list of prior guests....

All I can say is.... Rock On!

I used to go see Govt Mule before they were putting records out in 93/94 at Rivalrys in Macon for $5 at the door.

Best show I've ever seen was the Mule, a 12yo Derek Trucks, and a 6 and a half foot fat guy, that made his SG look like a ukulele and won a best guitar player in the world contest for Guitar Player magazine (can't remember his name if someone knows who I'm talking about) at Rivalrys. Trucks opened, then Mule, then the three cut heads for another 2 hours. I think the show went from 8 to 2am.

I used to go see Govt Mule before they were putting records out in 93/94 at Rivalrys in Macon for $5 at the door.

BesearliI've ever seen was the Mule, a 12yo Derek Trucks, and a 6 and a half foot fat guy, that made his SG look like a ukulele and won a best guitar player in the world contest for Guitar Player magazine (can't remember his name if someone knows who I'm talking about) at Rivalrys. Trucks opened, then Mule, then the three cut heads for another 2 hours. I think the show went from 8 to 2am.
I THINK the fat guy you're talking about was Chris Hicks who used to play with Loose Change in Macon. He also played solo at a place called Roosters in the late 80s early 90s. It was on Needed across from the Macon Mall next to Phar More Drugs where I worked as a teen. I'd leave work and go drink underage at Roosters until about half my paycheck was gone. And when happy hour was over I'd head home.

The deep end is a great album. Been a fan for years. If any of you missed galactic play at Candler park last Friday I'm sorry for ya. One of the best shows I have ever seen and I've been to a lot of shows.

Warren Hayes is one of the best, hardest working, and well respected guitarist in rock today. yes, plenty of people can take exception to that statement but I'm going to back it up... (http://www.warrenhaynes.net/shows/, http://mule.net/upcoming-shows/). I think he is also doing some shows with ZZ Top this summer. This guy plays guitar with everyone. He will be in ATL twice this year. I've already got balcony seats to see Govt Mule at the Tabernacle on Sept 23rd. He is also doing a Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration at Chastain this month, June 24th.

Also check out Xmasjam.com. This is his annual benefit in Asheville NC. In '07 I was in the front row and saw Peter Frampton at the Xmas jam. Check out the list of prior guests....

All I can say is.... Rock On!
Warren is damn good. But to me the best guitar player living or dead has to be David Gilmore.

Back
Top Bottom