• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking cigarettes

I would never consider myself a habit smoker, but smoked in high school and after usually only while drinking with friends. My wife has been smoking a little bit here and there in recent months. The other night I had consumed a few adult beverages and decided to try a few Winston smokes. Since then I have been dealing with something like a sinus infection or laryngitis? Headache, fever, severe sore throat. All of this occurred in the days following the smoking. And we don’t really go anywhere or mingle so I wasn’t around others. Cigarettes are so gross and bad for you. That will mark the last time I’ll ever smoke again. Congratulations to anyone who puts them down for good. They are not beneficial to the human body whatsoever!
Winston is still a distributed brand? I thought went the way of the dodo bird.

Yes they are still in business. The supposed draw I guess to the variety my wife bought is the claim that the only ingredients are tobacco and water. As if that makes a cigarette healthier?
I sold tobacco thirty years ago for American Tobacco. Cigarettes are full of chemicals that control burn rates, flavor additives, preservatives, etc. I stopped smoking Marlboros after 20 years. That was 17 years ago this November 9. Imperial Tobacco (U.S.) claims no additives in U.S. distributed Winston brand cigarettes but that does not make them any safer than any others with flavor additives, glycerol, licorice, etc.

IMG_0758.jpeg

This is what she got. Like you said, there’s no way that’s the only ingredients. Aren’t all cigarettes FSC (Fire safety cigarettes) now? What make a cigarette go out after not being puffed for about 30 seconds? Because they didn’t used to do that.

had/have a friend that could smoke like a smoke stack while at the hunting club....go home, and not smoke till next time....I fond that interesting...I quit in 1985 after around 15 years....I don't miss it at all...I will, in the spring and fall, sit out and have a cigar....does not spark my desire to start....I only mention that as some believe that smoking a cigar will lead to smoking cigarettes....not in my case, not even close...

had/have a friend that could smoke like a smoke stack while at the hunting club....go home, and not smoke till next time....I fond that interesting...I quit in 1985 after around 15 years....I don't miss it at all...I will, in the spring and fall, sit out and have a cigar....does not spark my desire to start....I only mention that as some believe that smoking a cigar will lead to smoking cigarettes....not in my case, not even close...
I would have one on occassion after I quit Marlboros but it was THE thing in Chicago bars early 2000's. My buddy from FA/OBC '90 is a Continental Airlines pilot and he'd get loads through customs from his Montreal-Cuba route.

Let's try to revive this thread. I smoke way too damn much (1.5-2 packs a day) and at 31 I'm starting to feel it. I've tried the vapes, gum, cold turkey and as soon as I get a day or 2 in something happens and I run right back to them. I was quit for about 2 years and one day the switch just turned back on. What did you guys do that ACTUALLY got you off the nicotine, sooner than later. Maybe I'm just weak minded but I just can't kick these things.

Let's try to revive this thread. I smoke way too damn much (1.5-2 packs a day) and at 31 I'm starting to feel it. I've tried the vapes, gum, cold turkey and as soon as I get a day or 2 in something happens and I run right back to them. I was quit for about 2 years and one day the switch just turned back on. What did you guys do that ACTUALLY got you off the nicotine, sooner than later. Maybe I'm just weak minded but I just can't kick these things.
For me was the tree falling on me, ct scan showed how bad my lungs were and them telling me it is now or you will die before turning 50. That simple! You want to live? If so quit and power through! I smoke 2 packs per day, and cold Turkey, and by no means was it easy! But if I can do it any one can, I had no desire to quit and when the doc told me what he did I stopped that instant.

For me was the tree falling on me, ct scan showed how bad my lungs were and them telling me it is now or you will die before turning 50. That simple! You want to live? If so quit and power through! I smoke 2 packs per day, and cold Turkey, and by no means was it easy! But if I can do it any one can, I had no desire to quit and when the doc told me what he did I stopped that instant.
Thank you for your response sir.

I smoked for about 20 years....1965+/- till 1985(35 years of age)....watched my sister die of cancer. While her cancer had nothing to do with smoking, I just figured that would be my outcome, if I did not stop....As I did not plan to die that way, I decided to stop....Put them down, and NEVER picked up another. All this, while my wife at the time, continued to smoke...that was back when you smoked in the house...the idea of dyeing from cancer, weighed far worse on me than the desire to light up....I still have dreams that include me smoking....I wake up, looking around, scared ****less that I've started back....I never smoked more than a pack a day, even when drinking, and what not.....GOOD LUCK....you know you need to...just do it, focus on other things
I have some girl friends that stopped smoking while pregnant, then, started back....it always amazed me...to go through all that, and then, just start right back up....amazing...I never understood that....I have one gal friend that stopped while going through breast cancer....then, after remission, she started back...beyond belief.

Back
Top Bottom