• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking cigarettes

I saw a man (about 75 years old) standing outside an exhibit building at an antiques market in Lake Co. Ill, 15 degrees, sleeting, snowing, and he was dragging an oxygen tank around but had the tube out of his nose (it had a huge protruding nodule on the end) and covering hos trach hole so he could smoke. I decided that if I smoked past 40, that'd be me one day and I didn't like the image.

For me was the tree falling on me, ct scan showed how bad my lungs were and them telling me it is now or you will die before turning 50. That simple! You want to live? If so quit and power through! I smoke 2 packs per day, and cold Turkey, and by no means was it easy! But if I can do it any one can, I had no desire to quit and when the doc told me what he did I stopped that instant.
u the man! Answer came from heaven through a fallen tree, limb

Go ahead and keep smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoked for 40 yrs and don't know whether it was agent orange or cigars and cigarettes. I just got out of the hospital and they took half my left lung out...So go ahead and smoke and see what happens....

I saw a man (about 75 years old) standing outside an exhibit building at an antiques market in Lake Co. Ill, 15 degrees, sleeting, snowing, and he was dragging an oxygen tank around but had the tube out of his nose (it had a huge protruding nodule on the end) and covering hos trach hole so he could smoke. I decided that if I smoked past 40, that'd be me one day and I didn't like the image.

OK with you saying that one of my best friends was a 80+ year old man, wife went to the old folks home. He wore the oxygen, put a cigarette in his mouth and attempted to light it. Guess, what happened?

Well the misses took the plunge and quit cold turkey about 6 plus weeks ago. In spite of all the suggestions of using this or that, she decided to not replace it with anything else and simply quit. She struggled, we struggled with her not smoking. But it's been over six weeks since her last cigarette. There are times she has the urge to smoke, certain things trigger it. She is determined to be an Ex smoker. The first three weeks were the hardest.

Let's try to revive this thread. I smoke way too damn much (1.5-2 packs a day) and at 31 I'm starting to feel it. I've tried the vapes, gum, cold turkey and as soon as I get a day or 2 in something happens and I run right back to them. I was quit for about 2 years and one day the switch just turned back on. What did you guys do that ACTUALLY got you off the nicotine, sooner than later. Maybe I'm just weak minded but I just can't kick these things.
Go back and read my post #25. The whole idea is to not really feel deprived at all. Get one of the vapes that can create just massive clouds and use high levels of nicotine and USE it. Don't hold back at all. Once you've got that going you can just skip the cigarettes and still be satisfied while eliminating almost all of the bad crap that is in a real cigarette. Then, over a period of years, you simply reduce to level of nicotine until it's zero. Once you're there you can put down the vape and hardly notice you did. Don't push the process at all. Every time I reduced nicotine level it was almost an afterthought.

I've been nicotine free for several years now after 35 years as a smoker.

I started at age 16ish. Cigs were $0.25 a pack. Smoked for 50 years. Tried Chantix about 15 years ago, and after 2 or 3 weeks, I was down to less that 1/2 pack a day (from 2 packs a day), but I got rid of that stuff as I was having dreams that would make even Timothy Leary envious! Finally, after smoking for 50+ years, I was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia and severe influenza. Could not smoke in the hospital (my how things have changed!) so, I quit for those 6 or 7 days there. Come Jan. 18th, that will be 6 years smoke-free. Nicotine gum for a while, but was spending as much on that as I was cigarettes (and enjoyed the gum less!). Tic Tacs helped a whole lot. I'd be lying if I said I never wanted one even now. There are triggers, after a meal, when I jump in my truck, when I have a good sit down Constitutional, a cup of coffee, whatever, I do not mind if I am around smokers and sometimes I might even move downwind for a few inhale of secondhand smoke. I am over smoking. I do not miss the coughing and hacking or even the cough syncope (might have to look that one up!) My advice to others...not my place to advise, can only relate.

Back
Top Bottom