• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weight loss Challenge started

Went on a ketogenic diet for a month, the weight loss slowed when I started working carbs back into the diet but I felt much better. The lack of carbs, which convert to sugar and are stored in the muscle tissue, cause the muscles to lose most of their ability to retain water. This makes hydration more difficult. Dehydration causes the headaches. The loss of water in the muscles accounts for much of the early rapid weight loss, but the body does move to a greater metabolism of fat as well. The slowing of the weight loss when resuming carbs is the flip side of the muscles dumping water, they start to retain again, which is not a bad thing as it helps you stay hydrated.
Ran a really fast (for me) 5 miles this morning, don't think I could have performed at the level I did on the ketonic diet.

The headaches are caused by lack of potassium, salt and magnesium. The thing Ive found thats best to keep them in check is pickle juice. A half cup does the trick usually. I drink lots of water. I started it because I hit a wall I couldnt break through at 200-205. Down to 194. Was 278 14 months ago. I havent noticed any decrease in strength while lifting and have actually shave ove 14 seconds per mile off my runs. I generally fast from 8pm till noon the next day. I workout hard for about 3 hours in the morning. Havent been hungry and its nice to eat foods I havent had in a year and still drop weight. Actually consuming more calories per day then my most loose diet stretches. I keep my total carbs at 10-11 (I dont do the net carb thing). I use my fitness pal to track my macros. 75%fat, 23%protein, and 2%carb. My gram goals are 163 fat, 114 protein, and 12 total carb. Ive done a lot of research to come up with that combo specific to me and my exercise regimine and its working well for me. The purpose of the fasting is that it boosts testoterone and hgh (hgh almost 2000%). Important not to over do protein on keto. Bad for the kidnys. Im putting on muscle weight at that protein level. Tracking things pretty specifically.

The headaches are caused by lack of potassium, salt and magnesium. The thing Ive found thats best to keep them in check is pickle juice. A half cup does the trick usually. I drink lots of water. I started it because I hit a wall I couldnt break through at 200-205. Down to 194. Was 278 14 months ago. I havent noticed any decrease in strength while lifting and have actually shave ove 14 seconds per mile off my runs. I generally fast from 8pm till noon the next day. I workout hard for about 3 hours in the morning. Havent been hungry and its nice to eat foods I havent had in a year and still drop weight. Actually consuming more calories per day then my most loose diet stretches. I keep my total carbs at 10-11 (I dont do the net carb thing). I use my fitness pal to track my macros. 75%fat, 23%protein, and 2%carb. My gram goals are 163 fat, 114 protein, and 12 total carb. Ive done a lot of research to come up with that combo specific to me and my exercise regimine and its working well for me. The purpose of the fasting is that it boosts testoterone and hgh (hgh almost 2000%). Important not to over do protein on keto. Bad for the kidnys. Im putting on muscle weight at that protein level. Tracking things pretty specifically.
Good info. Thanks.congratulations on improving your fitness. I was consuming more protein and less fat on this. Really hard to eat 125 grams of protein every day. Appears I was overdoing it as I do a 5 mile run each day but not much excercise as such other than that. I do cut firewood several days a week which is fairly physical and other farm activities. Usually have 22-27 k steps per day on the Fitbit. At 61 a lowered testosterone level is a concern. I usually eat my main meal around 3:00, a can of tuna or chicken around 7:00 and breakfast at 9:00 after my run. May stretch out the fast time if it will help the t level and help build some muscle mass. Not looking to bulk a lot but would like to get back where I was in my 30's.

I take supplements for the potassium magnesium. Also take vitamin d. I've also been using fiber to help with the no carbs.

Seems the "shock" treatment is working. I added 10% to my treadmill distance with a little more running and the pound I gained plus another has gone away. Really feeling the loss in my pants now and my feet hurt way less.

Good info. Thanks.congratulations on improving your fitness. I was consuming more protein and less fat on this. Really hard to eat 125 grams of protein every day. Appears I was overdoing it as I do a 5 mile run each day but not much excercise as such other than that. I do cut firewood several days a week which is fairly physical and other farm activities. Usually have 22-27 k steps per day on the Fitbit. At 61 a lowered testosterone level is a concern. I usually eat my main meal around 3:00, a can of tuna or chicken around 7:00 and breakfast at 9:00 after my run. May stretch out the fast time if it will help the t level and help build some muscle mass. Not looking to bulk a lot but would like to get back where I was in my 30's.

My exercise schedule (which I worked up didnt start at) is.....
Weightlifting on a 5 day split
Mon chest
Tues back
Wed leg
Thurs shoulder
Fri arms

This gives each muscle group a week to recover. After my lifting that takes an average of 1.5 hrs I come home and do my exercise bike for 70 minutes increasing resistance every 5 minute increment. I do a 5.5 mile trail run at kennesaw mountain park every Sunday that contains a significant elevation change. That started out as a hike and turned into a jog/hike and so on. I also started playing tennis last spring and now play 3 times a week for 1.5-2.5 hrs at a time. The more weight I lost the more I had to exercise to stay on track.

I started out doing crossfit. Which was stupid. Fat out of shape guy going from zero to 100. Hurt my knee and had to do some physical therapy. Now I just lift weights and do cardio as its less high impact. Did 3 rounds of the fast metabolism diet which was a giant pain in the ass. Eating only certain foods at certain times including scheduled snacks that changed daily. Planning nightmare. I lost weight and kept it off but it didnt work for my wife so without her planning it all out it went by the wayside. Then I did my fitness pal just counting calories and that worked well for me till I hit the wall I couldnt break through which led me to start keto.

My body fat has gone from over 40% to 18. Muscle has doubled. This morning down to 194 from 278.

The most disheartening thing is reconciling my mental image of myself with reality. When I graduated basic I was 210 and probably 12% body fat although I never checked. Now Im 194 at 18%. Ive lost a lot of muscle weight over the years through my life choices. I guess I always thought, through denial or stubbornness, that underneath my weight I was the same guy I was. That has been disproven. Now I have to get back there :).

Back
Top Bottom