• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why wouldn't you want to do a bill of sale?

Luke,
Serious question and I truly mean no disrespect here. Are you a happier, more upbeat person in your day life? Your posts here tend to lean toward the negative. Seriously, not an insult, just trying to see if I read your tone incorrectly.

Last edited:
Luke,
Serious question and I truly mean no disrespect here. Are you a happier, more upbeat person in your day life? Your posts here tend to lean toward the negative. Seriously
Not an insult, just trying to see if I read your time incorrectly.

I think it's the Avatar. It's influencing you. :p

Bill of Sale: "John sells to George on this date one Bersa .380 S/N xxxxxxxx for $250.00 CASH received in full, AS IS NO WARRANTY." /s/

When John sues George for failing to pay, George shows the judge his "received in full" Bill of Sale. Or when six months passes, and George sues John saying the gun doesn't work, John shows the judge his "AS IS NO WARRANTY" copy of the Bill of Sale. No need for a D/L, etc. but that basic information is the same stuff you'd want for buying a couch, a TV, a used car, or anything else of value where there might be a dispute later. It doesn't involve government recordkeeping, it's just personal protection in case something goes wrong with the sale later. Asking to "see" a GWL or other basic info to show it's a legal sale -- such as maybe asking for a signature saying "I'm not legally prohibited from buying this gun," is just prudent.

That's why I prefer a bill of sale, although I didn't ask for or receive one in my last two trades. As someone said, they were well documented in posts and PMs and that's sufficient (if I print the PMs.)

This about sums it up. I buy $1000 Snap-On toolbox, I get a BOS. I buy a set of rims for my truck, BOS. A gun is another investment. I don't need everything, just a piece of paper with an identifier (S/N and model number), your name, my name, price and sigs. Usually have the no warranty bit too but I've refunded money after a sale anyways if I think I might have mislead them, I like my sleep at night. Then I have a record of how much I spent on it for myself and I keep all receipts I "invested" on it with it (Each car has it's own file with all the expenses in it, same with my other toys).

Luke, I agree with you 100% on this. Noone hides on here. Think the IP addresses and MAC addresses of our devices aren't recorded yet? Think again. Username to IP, IP to MAC, search MAC to find your travel patterns (for those of you on mobile devices) or IP to physical address. Easy-peasy.

Also, I sleep under a quilt of Bill of Sales.....it keeps me warm at night. The more the better! :cool:

Bill of Sale: "John sells to George on this date one Bersa .380 S/N xxxxxxxx for $250.00 CASH received in full, AS IS NO WARRANTY." /s/

When John sues George for failing to pay, George shows the judge his "received in full" Bill of Sale. Or when six months passes, and George sues John saying the gun doesn't work, John shows the judge his "AS IS NO WARRANTY" copy of the Bill of Sale. No need for a D/L, etc. but that basic information is the same stuff you'd want for buying a couch, a TV, a used car, or anything else of value where there might be a dispute later. It doesn't involve government recordkeeping, it's just personal protection in case something goes wrong with the sale later. Asking to "see" a GWL or other basic info to show it's a legal sale -- such as maybe asking for a signature saying "I'm not legally prohibited from buying this gun," is just prudent.

That's why I prefer a bill of sale, although I didn't ask for or receive one in my last two trades. As someone said, they were well documented in posts and PMs and that's sufficient (if I print the PMs.)

What part of this do ppl. not understand?

Back
Top Bottom