• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Convoluted Process: GWCL Address Update

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Would you look at that. He does 💩 in the woods.
445   1
Reaction score
Currently in the process of getting all my ducks in a row for a change of scenery. Moving from one county to another.
Apparently, you have to update your driver's license first (pretty standard stuff), then here's the best part....

You have to travel all the way back to the former address issuing county probate, in person during, business hours, to have them update your GWCL.

Just get a new one in the county you are moving to? Trust me, I'd forego the trip for the fee. I was told you can't do that unless your GWCL is expired.

Is this really the only way to get this done?

Is your GWCL expiring soon? You only have to have one or the other (DL or GWCL) with the correct address. I only updated my DL then a couple years later went to my new Probate Court and got my new GWCL.
Not until 2025 unfortunately.

I'll just update my DL and if I find myself in the former county during business hours on a weekday before 2025, I guess I'll stop in.

Update your DL and wait till GWCL is expiring and update in new county. No law says it has to be updated when you move. No law says it has to have your new address un till renewal.
I like this idea the best. As long as it's within the bounds of the law.

My thought is it's asinine to expect someone, let's say they are moving from Savannah to Blue Ridge, to have to return back to Savannah to update their GWCL for their current location of Blue Ridge.....Especially during the week during their operating hours.

You don’t need to update your GWL… Its valid until expiration.

The ONLY reason to update would be if you’re planning to use it during a purchase to bypass a background check - in that case the address would need to match your DL
Ah, so purchasing online and having it sent to an FFL would require a background check if the GWCL doesn't match address. That makes sense. I guess I'll revert to having the LGS run background if I find something online.

Back
Top Bottom