• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you guys think.............NM I got a .44 magnum instead.

Noted. Now, which statement are you protesting? I like to try for 1,000 lbs of energy or that a .357 is not the most effective handgun round for deer?
Noted. Now, which statement are you protesting? I like to try for 1,000 lbs of energy or that a .357 is not the most effective handgun round for deer?

The 357 isn't the most effective, however it is plenty effective, I have only hunted with handguns for the last 25 years, I have taken deer with 357, 10mm, 44 special, 454, 500 and the vast majority with a 44 mag. A 357 is enough out to 75 yards with a 158 grain soft point (the soft point still expands but not to soon). Shot placement matters regardless of caliber. I perfer a neck shot cause they drop on the spot, unlike some heart and lung shots where they sometimes run 75 or 100 yards (always down freeking hill). if you choose a 357 for dear just be honest about your ability with handgun and don't take a shot beyond your ability. My self imposed rule is that I must be able to maintain 2/3 of my off hand shots in an 8'' circle for my maximum hunting distance. I have missed my share as anyone else but i have only failed to recover 1 deer and that was due to a poor shot when i was 15 years old hunting with a 44 mag rifle. Dear old Dad made me hunt for that dear for 2 days, daylight til after dark. I learned my lesson.

That you try for 1000 ft lbs fo
That you try for 1000 ft lbs for deer.
1. what exactly are you shooting to get 1000 ft lbs
2. what continent and what species deer do you hunt
3. why would you think you need that kind of energy to kill the over grown swamp goats we call white tailed deer?

Never even heard of the colt magnum caliber, looks to be one of those alone calibers that didn't become popular for the mainstream.
Basically what Bypass Bypass said below here. They're like the Buffalo Bore rounds that can't be shot in the "New" Vaqueros, they're too long and too powerful for the frame. The 1st generation Vaqueros had slightly longer cylinders and beefier frames. I'm not sure how much longer the cylinder is, maybe 1/32" or 3/64"? But a newer Vaquero's cylinder won't even rotate with one of these CorBon rounds in it. I've got some Ga. Arms .45 Colt 260gr @ 850 fps, I can shoot those with one hand, these CorBon 300gr bullets are 1300 fps and I gotta use both hands with those or the gun will just about flip right outta my hand. They sound like a cannon compared to the Ga. Arms ammo. Lol!

They make special 45 colt rounds for ruger pistols because the rugers can take a beating. They use to take a blackhawk 45 colt and make it a 454 casull.

That you try for 1000 ft lbs fo

That you try for 1000 ft lbs for deer.
1. what exactly are you shooting to get 1000 ft lbs
2. what continent and what species deer do you hunt
3. why would you think you need that kind of energy to kill the over grown swamp goats we call white tailed deer?
Deer can be killed with a .22 as any game warden can attest. I consider a .243 minimum, but effective for deer and it packs a LOT more than 1000 lbs at 100 yards. What do you consider low end efficient in a rifle for deer? I hunt with a .44, .30 Herrett and .41. While not "hand cannons" they deliver sufficient energy at handgun ranges to accomplish the task at hand without concern.

Oh....BTW.....I have and continue to kill deer with the 357. The key is practice, discipline, and shot placement. Never lost one, never had to shoot twice, and never shoot over 40 yards(usually less)
I know a lot of people that say the same thing about a .223. I won't use one for deer, because. I have no need to. Same with a .357.

The 357 isn't the most effective, however it is plenty effective, I have only hunted with handguns for the last 25 years, I have taken deer with 357, 10mm, 44 special, 454, 500 and the vast majority with a 44 mag. A 357 is enough out to 75 yards with a 158 grain soft point (the soft point still expands but not to soon). Shot placement matters regardless of caliber. I perfer a neck shot cause they drop on the spot, unlike some heart and lung shots where they sometimes run 75 or 100 yards (always down freeking hill). if you choose a 357 for dear just be honest about your ability with handgun and don't take a shot beyond your ability. My self imposed rule is that I must be able to maintain 2/3 of my off hand shots in an 8'' circle for my maximum hunting distance. I have missed my share as anyone else but i have only failed to recover 1 deer and that was due to a poor shot when i was 15 years old hunting with a 44 mag rifle. Dear old Dad made me hunt for that dear for 2 days, daylight til after dark. I learned my lesson.
I note having options, you shot most with a .44, and you had a great father. :)

Back
Top Bottom