• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Does barrel length affect suppressed sound levels?

BamaFan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
340   0
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a .300 BLK and my first can. Does barrel length (i.e., AR pistol vs. AR rifle) have any noticeable impact on the sound level of a suppressed gun? What about handguns - is a suppressed Glock 26 going to sound different from a suppressed Glock 34 with the same ammo, can, etc?

Thinking about getting a .300 BLK and my first can. Does barrel length (i.e., AR pistol vs. AR rifle) have any noticeable impact on the sound level of a suppressed gun? What about handguns - is a suppressed Glock 26 going to sound different from a suppressed Glock 34 with the same ammo, can, etc?

Yes. Longer barrel gives more complete powder burn and has lower muzzle pressure.

It is easier to keep the shorter barrel subsonic.

Depends on the round. That doesn't apply to rounds that generally aren't loaded to be subsonic like 5.56.

Does that mean they are inherently louder or quieter?

Longer barrels are quieter, suppressed or not.

What barrel length are you thinking about getting? A 9" 300blk running subs is still uber quiet:

Longer barrels should be quieter because the peak “chamber pressure” in a gun’s barrel happens when the bullet has only moved a short distance (an inch or two?).
After that, even though some more of the powder has yet to burn, the volume of pressurized space in the bore (behind the bullet) is rapidly expanding.
Boyle’s law of gas pressures and temperatures says the bigger the space gas has to fill, the lower its pressure.

I think I’ll do an experiment:

With hyper-velocity .22 lr ammo like CCI’s Stinger, I’ll shoot one shot thru a suppressed Ruger 10/22 with a 22” barrel, then move the can over to a 5” barreled Browning Buck Mark, and shoot the same Stinger ammo.

I’ll need to take a couple fouling shots first, to take away “first round pop”.

Or, let BOTH guns do one shot thru a cold can, with fresh air in it, so both shots will have some FRP.

Back
Top Bottom