• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Employer searching vehicle - interesting

Smoothie

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
While looking for the official verbiage for private party gun sales I stumbled across this and found it interesting.

Yes, they could choose to fire you if they searched your vehicle and found a gun but it looks like you could have a significant case for legal action.

When I park my vehicle in the employee lot and leave my firearm locked out of sight in the vehicle, can my employer search my car?

If you own your car and you hold a current weapons carry license, your employer cannot search the vehicle without reason. If your car belongs to your employer's fleet, however, you do not have full control over searches and must speak directly with your employer.

https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/gun-laws

While looking for the official verbiage for private party gun sales I stumbled across this and found it interesting.

Yes, they could choose to fire you if they searched your vehicle and found a gun but it looks like you could have a significant case for legal action.

When I park my vehicle in the employee lot and leave my firearm locked out of sight in the vehicle, can my employer search my car?

If you own your car and you hold a current weapons carry license, your employer cannot search the vehicle without reason. If your car belongs to your employer's fleet, however, you do not have full control over searches and must speak directly with your employer.

https://georgia.gov/popular-topic/gun-laws

You forgot this part below it.

Source: Official Code of Georgia. This information was prepared as a public service of the State of Georgia to provide general information, not to advise on any specific legal problem. It is not, and cannot be construed to be, legal advice.

I worked at a hospital in downtown Atlanta a few years back and always had my carry weapon with me when I entered the building, even though they had a strict no firearms policy. I first wasn't about to walk anywhere in downtown without packing and I always carried it in a shoulder pack then put it in my locker when I walked in. Not stupid enough to leave it in my vehicle when I had to park in a public lot. What folks don't know won't ever hurt them........

If the company says as a condition of employment you give them the right to search your car, they can and will. The policy can be changed at any time and they don't need your permission to change policy. Many have it as company policy you cannot have a gun on the property, whether in your car or not. My company views it as a "domestic violence", "workplace violence" issue. Its all BS. This past summer, an airline employee for a major Atlanta airline accidently had a gun in his bag when he tried to go through security. It was in checkpoint in a secure company owned lot. His car was searched, and he was terminated.

The guard asked him to leave the lot with the gun, and he just put it in his car and went through the checkpoint again. Big mistake, he should have went to another lot even if it was a pay lot and got on airport property that way. They searched his truck and found more guns. Both he and the guards were fired. The guards were fired for letting him go through the checkpoint when they new what he had in his car. Good luck getting an attorney to take the case when the work rules are in black and white. A lot of employees signed a petition to keep the guards as they were nice people and easy to get along with. It didn't help them.

If the company says as a condition of employment you give them the right to search your car, they can and will. The policy can be changed at any time and they don't need your permission to change policy. Many have it as company policy you cannot have a gun on the property, whether in your car or not. My company views it as a "domestic violence", "workplace violence" issue. Its all BS. This past summer, an airline employee for a major Atlanta airline accidently had a gun in his bag when he tried to go through security. It was in checkpoint in a secure company owned lot. His car was searched, and he was terminated.

The guard asked him to leave the lot with the gun, and he just put it in his car and went through the checkpoint again. Big mistake, he should have went to another lot even if it was a pay lot and got on airport property that way. They searched his truck and found more guns. Both he and the guards were fired. The guards were fired for letting him go through the checkpoint when they new what he had in his car. Good luck getting an attorney to take the case when the work rules are in black and white. A lot of employees signed a petition to keep the guards as they were nice people and easy to get along with. It didn't help them.

Very True.

Nothing to hide in my truck... just a few guns and empty beer cans.

Nothing to hide in mine either. That said nobody is searching my private property without a warrant.

It's not an issue of what they may find but rather I refuse to work somewhere that would even try.

Back
Top Bottom