• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate texting, there's no doubt about who said what.

Maybe you could offer him to trade you something he has that's twice the value of the rifle in a text, just to get the conversation started.

Once he admits in a text that he despised of your property without your permission, game on.

I would text the "friend" and revisit the entire scenario in hopes of getting him to answer with incriminating evidence.

I have some family members and friends that I do business with and others I don't. It doesn't matter whether they are friends or family, but their credibility.

I had a "friend" try to screw me out of $450.00. He said he wasn't going to pay me. I told him that he would pay, maybe not me, but he would pay. lol
I hired a lawyer and took him to small claims court. There was no doubt in my mind that I would win.
Not only did he have to pay me my $450, but he had to pay my lawyer $450.00 (first time the judge had ever awarded attorney fees) and whatever his lawyer charged him.

It ain't so much about the money, but the principle. I'll lose money to prove my point.

If you live to be 80 years old and have 3 friends throughout your life then you had two or tree more than most people.
A friend is someone who you may not talk with for six months, but when you are in need, (mentally, physically, or financially) they will be there.
Someone posted earlier, this dude is an acquaintance, not a friend, know the difference.
Hell with "friends" like this dude, who needs enemies?

The cop is wrong, and is either ignorant of the law or lying to you to avoid the hassle of prosecuting a case that may turn down to a "he said, she said" swearing contest with no real evidence other than conflicting testimony.

But it's absolutely FALSE that "theft by conversion" can't be charged when you "gave" (handed over physical possession) your property to somebody under an agreement to do "X" with it, and they do "Y" with it instead for their personal benefit, treating the property like they owned it.

Law enforcement officers charge "theft by conversion" all the time when it comes to "rent to own" furniture and appliances, or rental cars, that aren't returned by the due date, and when the renter is avoiding contact with the rental company.
The deputy should have taken the OP’s complaint. An investigation should done. But to insinuate that someone should be charged based on the OP’s complaint alone is ludicrous.

In the case of rent to own and rental car agreements there is contractual physical evidence present.... something that OP has yet to confirm exsists in this case.

Do you think probable cause exsist for an arrest because one party, who admits to handing a rifle over as collateral for a loan, has a story to tell with no real evidence beyond his word? If you were a magistrate judge would you issue a warrant based on that alone? I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

The deputy should have taken the OP’s complaint. An investigation should done. But to insinuate that someone should be charged based on the OP’s complaint alone is ludicrous.

In the case of rent to own and rental car agreements there is contractual physical evidence present.... something that OP has yet to confirm exsists in this case.

Do you think probable cause exsist for an arrest because one party, who admits to handing a rifle over as collateral for a loan, has a story to tell with no real evidence beyond his word? If you were a magistrate judge would you issue a warrant based on that alone? I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make.

Will a judge issue a warrant because of some cop's word only?
I smell something like weed.
They were weaving.

Like Law Enforcement need to justify "probable cause".
Law Enforcement lie more than a regular Joe on the skreet.

There is no revenue involved for the police, so they aren't interested.

Will a judge issue a warrant because of some cop's word only?
I smell something like weed.
They were weaving.

Like Law Enforcement need to justify "probable cause".
Law Enforcement lie more than a regular Joe on the skreet.

There is no revenue involved for the police, so they aren't interested.
“the police” arrest people all the time for theft for conversion when probable cause exists without “revenue involved”....but let’s not let reality stop your continuous effort to add your “police”, “respect”, “lie”, droning to every thread that involves le actions, good or bad.

Tell him to pay you what the rifle is worth. If he doesn't do that, I'd go the legal route and report it stolen and make a report.
I'd report it stolen anyway. I mean as soon as the douchebag came clean about what really happened to it I would've been on the phone and giving a description and serial number. It doesn't matter how long you've known someone. If they play fast and loose with YOUR property that's not a friend .
I met and knew a guy back in Houston Co who used to try to cozy up to older people with money. His favorite scam was to BS people with old trucks Jeeps and muscle cars about how he was an expert paint and resto guy. Then he'd get their vehicles back to his place and charge them for work he wasn't doing. Then he would eventually sell the vehicles on CL. Since all the vehicles were pre 85 models it was always a bill of sale only deal.i don't know how many times he pulled that same scam but he needed killing . Surprised nobody did.

“the police” arrest people all the time for theft for conversion when probable cause exists without “revenue involved”....but let’s not let reality stop your continuous effort to add your “police”, “respect”, “lie”, droning to every thread that involves le actions, goof or bad.

So you are saying that the cop is just a fat sorry ass for not filling out a report or doing any investigation?

Do you think the cop is a good cop and should continue his employment at the tax payers expense?

If he worked for me, he would be looking for another job, but I hold the bar a little more than a foot off the ground.

I'm sure he was headed to the Huddle House for lunch and really didn't have time.

Why are other cops always making excuses for their lameass Brothers in Blue?

I’d talk to “cousin” and tell him:
I’m going to report the stolen gun that you, by admission of “friend”, had last.

He will likely get spooked and tell you the truth about where it’s at or quickly find out where it’s at and let you know so he doesn’t think he’s going to get a felony charge.
Yep when somebody hears the police are about to be at their door the tune could quickly change.

So you are saying that the cop is just a fat sorry ass for not filling out a report or doing any investigation?

Yes

Do you think the cop is a good cop and should continue his employment at the tax payers expense?

No, probably not

Why are other cops always making excuses for their lameass Brothers in Blue?

Long before you chimed in I stated he was wrong for not taking the OP's complaint.
But don't let that get in your way, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom