• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Firearm borrowed by friend & he sold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is you can't just go out and find another friend of 40 years, you can however go buy another subpar rifle (or take this opportunity to upgrade to a WASR) and take it as a lesson learned.
I'm sure you're a good friend, but no, the point is the guy was not a "friend of 40 years". He was a lying thieving acquaintance. It's why the phrase "good riddance" exists.
Well, hopefully good riddance after he gets charged with theft.

Yes, but you would stand by in silence.

No, probably not. but you wouldn't assist in having this bad apple removed from the force, just turn a blind eye?

Long before you chimed in I stated he was wrong for not taking the OP's complaint. But nothing should be done to the cop for being a sorry fat ass?
But don't let that get in your way, lol.
Ok I want. lol

I was in the city and happened to see a cop so I explained my problem and ask for his advice. He said I should report it as a theft and that when they went to his house, be might decide to get the rifle rather than go to jail.
I called the Sheriff's department and ask to speak to a patrolman. I got the call from a Sargent and he said since it was a verbal agreement between friends that it was a civil action and that was my only recourse. I ask about the theft charge, he said I gave him the rifle, that isn't a theft.
Dang, that just don't sound right. Sounds to me like the person you talked to was just plain lazy, I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like. It's stuff like this why I've never loaned a gun to anyone except my sons.

He’s probably screwed you over plenty of times before or used you. This ain’t nothing new to him if he doesn’t care like that. I have many acquaintances, but very few friends and family. Whenever something tragic happens in your life, it’s not necessarily the ones who come see you after learning, it’s the ones who continue to see and check up on you after it dies down.

I believe that patrolman is incorrect? Theft by conversion not theft by taking.
Yes all day long.

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by conversion when, having lawfully obtained funds or other property of another including, but not limited to, leased or rented personal property, under an agreement or other known legal obligation to make a specified application of such funds or a specified disposition of such property, he knowingly converts the funds or property to his own use in violation of the agreement or legal obligation. This Code section applies whether the application or disposition is to be made from the funds or property of another or from the accused's own funds or property in equivalent amount when the agreement contemplates that the accused may deal with the funds or property of another as his own

Here's another angle maybe nobody considered. Maybe it's too vague but hear me out. Back around 94 I had a friend that owned a liquor store in Byron. Real good dude that everyone knew and liked. One day he loaned my neighbor about two bills on a Tec 9. No big deal to us. Well the same dumbass neighbor was at the Byron Pawn Shop shortly after that and told the dickhead owner about it. So that dickhead called the liquor store all pissed off threatening to call the law and the ATF on the owner for being an unlicensed pawn broker. It was an ugly and very unnecessary scene.
My point here is maybe the douchebag that sold the rifle already violated some statute by making the loan and accepting a firearm as collateral. Maybe maybe not.

Here's another angle maybe nobody considered. Maybe it's too vague but hear me out. Back around 94 I had a friend that owned a liquor store in Byron. Real good dude that everyone knew and liked. One day he loaned my neighbor about two bills on a Tec 9. No big deal to us. Well the same dumbass neighbor was at the Byron Pawn Shop shortly after that and told the dickhead owner about it. So that dickhead called the liquor store all pissed off threatening to call the law and the ATF on the owner for being an unlicensed pawn broker. It was an ugly and very unnecessary scene.
My point here is maybe the douchebag that sold the rifle already violated some statute by making the loan and accepting a firearm as collateral. Maybe maybe not.
I doubt it..... two individuals don’t need a pawnbrokers license to loan each other money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom