• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I needs some learning.....on trucks

For snow you must have snow tires. Snow is not really something to worry about down here.

I'll take the old Explorer when you get a new truck. But seriously I just drove a new Tacoma through the car wash at work yesterday. It was nice without being a loaded out crazy expensive model. The Toyotas we get at the Port are all headed out of the country usuall to Costa Rica. With that in mind their not the tip of the line models with all the options. The truck I drove yesterday was a manual 6 speed I guess. Very nice inside and put. It was 4 wheel drive with 4 doors. No window sticker so I have no idea what the MSRP was. My only complaint with it would be that these day 4 door trucks have little short ass beds.
That's one reason I went with the Tundra instead. Four doors AND a six foot bed. I'd almost rather have the trunk of an old Lincoln Continental over some of these tiny beds they're putting on trucks these days.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, hilly as can be, and drove a 2wd S10 since I got my license. My father also had a 2wd S10, he commuted an hour each way to work in the coal mine. Through ~8” of snow or ~2” of solid ice covering the streets, we got around fine, you just have to know how to drive in it.

That being said, our family vehicle, Honda Pilot, is 4wd because I’m not taking any chances with my kids in this ****hole of a city. Getting home safely during snowmaggedon, and having to help multiple people get unstuck so I could pass, taught me that we needed at least one 4wd vehicle. You can’t get a running start up a hill when the road is a parking lot.

My tundra is 2wd.

I learned to drive in snow country. I know how to drive in snow, never needed 4 wheel drive for snow. I will NEVER drive in snow here in Ga, the other drivers, even those with 4wd do not have clue how to drive in snow or icing conditions, They WILL hit you and/or shut the roads down.

My best snow driving memory is tooling long in 4" of snow and a guy in a 4wd came bustin by me at a high rate of speed. 2 miles up the road I passed him. He was in the ditch, up side down, with all 4 wheels spinning. LOL!

Just because you can go doesn't mean you have control or can stop.

I think it was Midnight during snowmageddon 2011 I picked up several stranded motorists along I-75 South from the airport to Macon, dropping them off at exits where they could get inside an open store to wait for a pickup. That's one of the few times I've used 4WD.

4x4 won't do didly squat when a dozen cars in front of you can't get up the hill and you can't get around

“Move bitch, get out the way
Get out the way bitch, get out the way“
101705AC-B969-443A-B2C6-B87574DEB00F.jpeg

I swore I wouldn’t own a 2 wheel drive truck when I got stuck with 2 front wheels on pavement, rear wheels in wet grass.
Had this happen over Thanksgiving while visiting family. Thankfully, I was able to back up and get a running start at it, although it wasn't great on the yard. I dislike the fact that I have a 2wd drive truck; however, I haven't been "stuck" yet. I'm very thankful on that. For me purchasing the 2wd over the 4wd was pretty simple; because, the 4wd verison of my truck was about $8,000 more. I compensated for the fact I don't have a 4wd truck and bought a project jeep for fun, and possible need of 4wd for alot less than the 4wd would've cost.

I think it was Midnight during snowmageddon 2011 I picked up several stranded motorists along I-75 South from the airport to Macon, dropping them off at exits where they could get inside an open store to wait for a pickup. That's one of the few times I've used 4WD.
I had a 95 Explorer XLT from 04 to 06. I only used the 4wd maybe twice. But both time it was necessary and I was glad to ha e it. Back in 10/11 We got my wife a 95 Passport with V6 and 4 we. But it wasn't a real Honda. It was a damn Isuzu Rodeo in disguise. One of the worst vehicles we ever owned. That 3.2 V6 had no power at all and still used a lot of gas. And just like the rest of them it popped a head gasket,
Anyway, I really like having a 4wd vehicle for those rare times you do need it. And the 4wd option helps resale value. But if you can find a deal on a 2wd truck by all means take it. But keep the Explorer too.

Back
Top Bottom