• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dogs.....

If the Police officer had shot non-threatening dogs while not under the impression they were entering a home that just had a B&E then it would be really wrong. Say entering the home based on a noise complaint, shooting a dog that simply barked would be ridiculous. But entering a house that may have a B&E suspect in it, the police have much less of a duty to the dog and each case should be looked at for its individual circumstances. Did the dogs prevent entry? Show signs of aggression? did they prevent the police from fulfilling their duties with their lives as a priority?

I agree, for the most part....

But the cover-up which apparently is/was constructed to make the dog look "vicious" is entirely unacceptable. Maybe they were surprised, maybe there is more to the story as far as where the dog was and whether or not he was charging. But, if half the stuff about the cover up is true, some serious smack-down should occur.

This officer is scared of dogs period. While this whole scene was unfolding and after the shots, they never asked the "potential threat" the person in the house, the one the cops were there for, who he was! Officer Roach said he shot Luke once then Luke charged at him again, then he shot him the 2nd time. The shots heard by many, were pop pop, not pop then pop. Robby could have been a robber and they would have never known. It's time for a change on how the police address animals especially on a questionable call like this one.

I agree, for the most part....

But the cover-up which apparently is/was constructed to make the dog look "vicious" is entirely unacceptable. Maybe they were surprised, maybe there is more to the story as far as where the dog was and whether or not he was charging. But, if half the stuff about the cover up is true, some serious smack-down should occur.

I agree there should be disciplinary action IF there was a cover up. However, from the responses on this thread alone (some of you have said you would KILL the officer for shooting the dog) I can understand why they would feel a need for one. Does anyone doubt that even a very nice dog is likely to light up if they discover a stranger in the house? How does the officer know if the dog is serious or not? As soon as that officer pulled the trigger he knew there was going to be a sht storm about it no matter how justified it was. He went into CYA mode because he knew he would have to.

That's the environment LE has to try and do their job in. Many people hate them just because they wear the uniform.

Now had Luke bitten the officer or even got close enough to bite him I would understand, even I would have shot. Officer Roach automatically assuming that all large dogs are viscous shows a lack of experience and training and his fear of dogs. I have talked to several police friends of mine, and they do not agree on how Roach handled this one. All of them said they would be on alert and weapons drawn going into the house, some could not truly answer about if they would have shot a dog, they were not there, but they all said what about the perp? Why did he automatically assumed that Luke was vicious and assumed the man inside the house was no threat at all, if it was a true burglary, the two officers fully exposed themselves to have easily been shot and killed. Then for the two officers to lie and cover up their mistakes, blows my mind. They next time I hear, "I was pulled over cuz I'm black" I might think differently about that now.

Why would a would be burglar be talking with the alarm system provider knowing that the cops were in route?

Why would the cops shoot someone's pet?

If there had been a perp run out the door with a DVD player would the cops have shot him twice?

When you pass the POSTED signs, all bets are off.

What Kind of 911 system do they have in Cobb County first the dispatcher should alert the officers that home owner states he is on the premisis and the Cops should alert thierselves to anyone that they are entering the home. for thier saftey and others.

I Live in Columbus GA I have had my alarm go off and Cops responded. But never even go in my Yard cause of my Pitbull and Presa Canario. They never shot my dogs and just sit outside the home until I arrive. I thought Muscogee County was bad but atleast they arent stupid as the cops in Cobb.

What if you were in your backyard and a police shephard came running around the side of your house and you shoot it? Can you claim your life was in danger,Funny if you shoot a police dog its like shooting a Officer! but when they shoot your dog its not considered a threat. Sorry to hear this but lucky they didnt shoot the owner when he came running out to his dog. they need to fire him and bring him up on charges!

Last edited:
What Kind of 911 system do they have in Cobb County first the dispatcher should alert the officers that home owner states he is on the premisis and the Cops should alert thierselves to anyone that they are entering the home. for thier saftey and others.

I Live in Columbus GA I have had my alarm go off and Cops responded. But never even go in my Yard cause of my Pitbull and Presa Canario. They never shot my dogs and just sit outside the home until I arrive. I thought Muscogee County was bad but atleast they arent stupid as the cops in Cobb.

What if you were in your backyard and a police shephard came running around the side of your house and you shoot it? Can you claim your life was in danger,Funny if you shoot a police dog its like shooting a Officer! but when they shoot your dog its not considered a threat. Sorry to hear this but lucky they didnt shoot the owner when he came running out to his dog. they need to fire him and bring him up on charges!

I agree with all the above!

If a taser was an option, it should have been attempted. I've personally experienced pepper spray having zero effect on some dogs. As for announcing presence: the last thing a responding officer wants to do at a burglar alarm call is announce his presence and alert the potential bad guys that he's in the house. Standard procedure is typically draw the sidearm and begin clearing the residence. Following this procedure may explain why the gun was in hand as opposed to the taser; if the dog was acting overly aggressive, I can say that *I* would shoot rather than wear teeth marks.

The only dog I've come about [this] close to shooting was a Lab. He charged and I was able to boot him in the head and he decided to buzz off; I was able to draw and boot at the same time, but I didn't have to shoot since the size 12 did the trick. The dogs I've had to pepper spray have been a mishmash of everything from pits to boxers to other labs; the ones that spray didn't bother at all got dissuaded by posturing.

Also, I carry dog chews in my pocket. When I know I'm approaching a residence with dogs, I have one ready to toss out to them. This method has prevented several dead dogs, I'm sure, and has the added benefit of being impressive to owners.

One of the questions that I would have is why would a burglar have a dog in the house to start with. And, if the owner's dog was in there with the burglar and not barking at the burglar, I don't understand that either. What burglar is going to rob a house with a large dog in it? I am not a LEO nor have I ever been, but these are some things that I think make some common sense; maybe I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom