• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 LEO / attorney questions that grew from another thread.

I said it was a safety issue for both of us. This means that it doesn't surprise me when you open the glove box for your insurance card and a weapon falls out. I don't react by stepping backwards into traffic while drawing thinking that you are drawing. The driver doesn't accidently get shot and I don't get ran over. I did not imply that a dangerous criminal would answer honestly but you would really be surprised to know how many do and how many more give themselves away by being poor liars.
You would jump into traffic and accidentally shoot a man for having a gun in his glove box?

So I got a speeding ticket last Sunday and I was surprised when the officer asked for my registration. I said. "I don't want to alarm you, but my gun is in the glove compartment where my registration is" He said, "What type of gun is it?" I said "Glock" "Is it in a holster" "yes" "Is there one in the chamber?" "yes" He said, "open the glove compartment slowly and remove the firearm" "OKay, where do you want me to put it?" "For my safety I would like to unload it, then we'll just leave it on the dash" I handed it to him since he wasn't going to run the numbers and it was really a light seizure since he was going to leave it on my dash. Otherwise I may have objected depending on the circumstances. He then asked if I had a carry permit, I said yes and he asked to see it At the end of the ticket(no warning that bastard, and I work with tons of cops and tried to make my work ID visible{it hangs from my rearview mirror}) he said, "You did everything exactly right with the gun, you didn't have to hand it to me, but I felt safer unloading it myself" He went on to talk about his support of gun rights, asked me about my job since he saw some of the stuff in my car I did mention to him that I didn't have any reason to show my carry permit, but didn't mind and he admitted that he didn't have to see it but again it made him more comfortable to know I had it and that it was partly why he didn't mind leaving it on my dash. I left feeling a bit relieved and angered. one part of me was happy that he didn't make to big a deal out of it or treat me like a criminal, the other mad because he asked for the gun and ID in a commanding tone admittedly knowing he was not entitled to do either. I had hoped it was a mistaken belief of his, but he actually knew both were beyond my legal duty. Had he said "You don't have to but it would make me more comfortable" I certainly would have obliged, but it's actions like he took that make me want to "take back the right" since it seemed fairly common place for him to take advantage of people's lack of knowledge or nervousness around police officers. Again my job puts me in a situation where I work with many officers of the law, so I empathize with their desire for safety, but I would rather them be honest and upfront about those issues rather than cloaking them as a lawful order. Also $256 for a 19 over.... sucks that was money for the PSL I wanted but now I'm going to have to hold off.
had a simular situation with a state patrol years back, he ask for my insurance card and before opening my center console I advised him there was a pistol in there. He just looked at me and said no problem just don't point it at me. We didn't have a pro 2A discussion afterwards or shoot the **** about glock vs 1911. Just a cop who doesn't flip out when he see's a gun. I will say this, in my experience the GSP are a cut above the rest in the leo community.

had a simular situation with a state patrol years back, he ask for my insurance card and before opening my center console I advised him there was a pistol in there. He just looked at me and said no problem just don't point it at me. We didn't have a pro 2A discussion afterwards or shoot the **** about glock vs 1911. Just a cop who doesn't flip out when he see's a gun. I will say this, in my experience the GSP are a cut above the rest in the leo community.

Mostly military guys

As an LEO I will tell you this, when I ask if there are any weapons in the vehicle, I am doing from a safety standpoint. When people tell me yes, I ask where it is and just ask them not to touch it or reach in that general area. I don't give people a hard time since I believe in the second amendment. HOWEVER, if you lie to me about it, and I find out, you are going to raise my suspicion GREATLY!! Which means an additional unit to see if you are up to no good. Lying about weapons will put an officer on the defense quick!!! Honesty will save you a lot of heartache and a pat down!

I dont mind telling them there is. Hell i got pulled over a couple weeks ago and had my 23 sitting right next to me in its cross breed (single cab truck and it was a long drive). And i have mega ultra uber doober black as buckweed tint on my back glass, so i put one on the wheel and one out the window and before he could say anything i made him look at it so he knew. He was cool about it. If all LEOs were cool about it then i would have no problem telling them there is one. Its that one douche bag that i worry about, the young super cop who wants to be billy bad ass and strut harder than a tom with a flock hens around him. Because as soon as you tell him theres one in your vehicle he will trip **** and go pure ape feces on you. Most LEOs ive dealt with are generally good guys just earning a paycheck.

Last edited:
Integrity, try never to compromise it.

Know your rights but also good manners even when others don't.

You will never be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom