• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gotta love the 5.45x39s! AK or AR you choose!!

Ok So I took one of my other ARs apart and threw the slide fire and 5.45 upper on it. The other lower had a hoop for a sling so it interfierd with the slide fire travel. But I was mainly wanting to see how the FCG group worked with the upper holding it loose. Worked fine. The hammer locked back in every time. I did have one FTFire due to the light hammer spring. Chambered the round again and it lit. I hit the same FTFeed as well, but I attribute that to the lighter stock carbine buffer.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and buy a lower parts kit and replace all of the FCG parts and springs (minus the new spring from the upper). Just not sure about the buffer. I think the buffer plays more with the feeding than the FCG.

patracy:416063 said:
Ok So I took one of my other ARs apart and threw the slide fire and 5.45 upper on it. The other lower had a hoop for a sling so it interfierd with the slide fire travel. But I was mainly wanting to see how the FCG group worked with the upper holding it loose. Worked fine. The hammer locked back in every time. I did have one FTFire due to the light hammer spring. Chambered the round again and it lit. I hit the same FTFeed as well, but I attribute that to the lighter stock carbine buffer.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and buy a lower parts kit and replace all of the FCG parts and springs (minus the new spring from the upper). Just not sure about the buffer. I think the buffer plays more with the feeding than the FCG.

If you get tired of tinkering with.it, I'm selling a spikes lower with Smith and Wesson upper 545 AR....just saying

It's not the upper. It's something with the lower parts kit. Or.... The buffer.

Mine weighs exactly 4.0 ounces. Yours is 4.3 ounces per spike. My other lower had a standard 2.9 ounce buffer in it, causing the short cycle.

This lower came with a complete AR I bought for the upper. I didn't build it, but it has a little wear to it. I'm going to just go through it with fresh parts instead of all this back and forth changing/testing.

Mine weighs exactly 4.0 ounces. Yours is 4.3 ounces per spike. My other lower had a standard 2.9 ounce buffer in it, causing the short cycle.

This lower came with a complete AR I bought for the upper. I didn't build it, but it has a little wear to it. I'm going to just go through it with fresh parts instead of all this back and forth changing/testing.

Ahh gotcha. Get a rock river parts kit if you can.

Yeah if I can get it to run in "almost auto" mode, I will certainly be keeping it forever. I've just had a crap day at work and I had my hopes high that the hammer bob would have fixed it.

Back
Top Bottom