• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gotta love the 5.45x39s! AK or AR you choose!!

patracy:416089 said:
Why would I want another one? And not piston driven?

What are the general benefits in this set up to piston driven? I figured with uniform ammo availability you won't have to worry about gas adjustment. Is this one of those 9mm vs 40 debate where everyone has their own opinion, just wondering because I know squat about the piston driven benefits

What are the general benefits in this set up to piston driven? I figured with uniform ammo availability you won't have to worry about gas adjustment. Is this one of those 9mm vs 40 debate where everyone has their own opinion, just wondering because I know squat about the piston driven benefits

Piston uppers run a lot cooler and run cleaner. I've had an upper so hot you could not even touch the hand guard. Piston uppers run cool, that really goes a long way with the slide fire.

Plus you don't have that corrosive residue all in with the bolt carrier group.

Yup, I was going to run a cheaper S&W or model 1 upper until I found that deal on this upper. I'm glad I spent the $50 extra to get a piston upper.

I'm out of ideas.

New FCG helped, I can get two rounds off, then hammer follow. Even heavier buffer? Enlarge the gas port?

do you have the same weight buffer as I have? It almost sounds like your BCG is not going back far enough some times. Have you thought about taking a little bit more off the spring?

The ONLY 5.45 upper I would touch right now is the LWRC one that has the rails for the bcg and all that jazz. Otherwise, buy a 74

His issue is not an upper issue. Also the uppers you speak of cost 1,000 bucks. Ill pass. Im sure they are nice but for that kinda cheddar I can think of many other things.

Last edited:
do you have the same weight buffer as I have? It almost sounds like your BCG is not going back far enough some times. Have you thought about taking a little bit more off the spring?

Yours weighs 4.3, mine 4.0. Running a standard spring as the shortened didn't work right with the heavy buffer

Back
Top Bottom