• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No one should buy aluminum body trucks...

I was lucky. After getting my arse burned badly on a 1995 GT ($24K sticker price, $29K to get it paid off in 5 years) I decided to buy used when I replaced the Mustang at 113K miles.

I bought a used (2 yr old) Explorer 2006 in 2008 with 18K miles on it for $22K cash from Enterprise Fleet. Drove it for a couple years without issue, then took a job that required travel. Booked 101K miles in 2.5 years @ .555 cents per mile reimbursement. After all operating costs I still paid for the car with mileage and it has 225K miles on it now and it's still going. I might sell it for a newer model but that will be used too and I will not spend more than $28K. I just can't see it. I've owned new but some douche will come along and dent it, scratch it or scrape it and you can't legally capture them and take them into the woods and torture them to death over a four week period, so....I'll buy used.
Four week period! Oh ho ho ho ho ho!

Ehhh my first car was 72 month loan I think with a butt raping interest rate, I was young and uniformed. My current truck is about to get paid off this year and only hit 110k so I'm good for awhile

Ehhh my first car was 72 month loan I think with a butt raping interest rate, I was young and uniformed. My current truck is about to get paid off this year and only hit 110k so I'm good for awhile

If you can reach it, do your own maintenance if you have the tools. I've saved a small fortune. Get a Haynes manual for your truck or youtube everything. I know I don't need to tell you that, but others might benefit.

If you can reach it, do your own maintenance if you have the tools. I've saved a small fortune. Get a Haynes manual for your truck or youtube everything. I know I don't need to tell you that, but others might benefit.
Yeah I try to do what I can if and when I have the time, I always do my own oil change. Luckily nothing major has happen to it unless cause by me pretending to be a professional driver

The interest is nothing compared to the depreciation

I am 51 years old and have owned a lot of vehicles in my life

I have never and will never buy a brand new one
And I've only financed two used ones and both times I regretted borrowing the money

We usually buy a 5-8 ur old vehicle at an auction or from a motivated seller, a lost always a private individual , dealers are usually working hard to rip you off

The current one is a 04 4wd expedition we bought 5 years ago with every available option ;
Heated and cooled leather seats , DVD player etc
It was in 7 years old , one owner ,excellent condition with 110k on the clock
We paid $6600
The person that bought it new paid $52K

They lost $45,000 in value , plus interest plus $3500 just In sales tax

Lots of people worry about the interest rate and gas mileage
I don't . I pay cash and usually get a large comfortable gas guzzler

We've owned it almost the same amount of years as the original buyer ,
And driven it about the same mileage , we've put 125k on it , now has a total of 240k or thereabouts

We paid $6600, driven it 125k miles and it's worth about $4500
We've lost appx $2000 in depreciation and less than a thousand for repairs , which I do myself .

Unless you're a billionaire or get major tax deductions and depreciation write offs , why anyone would buy a new vehicle is beyond my comprehension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I've only financed two used ones and both times I regretted borrowing the money

We usually buy a 5-8 ur old vehicle at an auction or from a motivated seller, a lost always a private individual , dealers are usually working hard to rip you off

The current one is a 04 4wd expedition we bought 5 years ago with every available option ;
We paid $6600

And driven it about the same mileage , we've put 125k on it , now has a total of 240k or thereabouts

We've lost appx $2000 in depreciation and less than a thousand for repairs , which I do myself .

Unless you're a billionaire or get major tax deductions and depreciation write offs , why anyone would buy a new vehicle is beyond my comprehension

Yeah! but just think aluminum will never rust and oyur new truck will last forever!!!!.....LOL
I agree, never buy new, too many folks are willing to "absorb" the depreciation for you due to the sales person sticking it to them.

We paid $6600

:thumb: 1995 was the last new vehicle I bought.
Will never buy new again for exactly the same reasons you so eloquently put sir.

We went last weekend and looked at some trucks. I want a F150, but she wants me to get a man's truck F250. Just so happens there was a F250 Platinum and a F150 King Ranch side by side. Both were 4wd and the F250 was a diesel and.the price on both of them were a couple hundred dollars apart. They both were $68,500

We went last weekend and looked at some trucks. I want a F150, but she wants me to get a man's truck F250. Just so happens there was a F250 Platinum and a F150 King Ranch side by side. Both were 4wd and the F250 was a diesel and.the price on both of them were a couple hundred dollars apart. They both were $68,500

Oh man 68k that's incredible!

Back
Top Bottom