• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No one should buy aluminum body trucks...

In the example above I think you'd end up paying about $13,000 in interest on a $54K truck at 3% for 96 months.

My 24 year old daughter and son in law are looking at new vehicles since their 2004 was just totaled out due to an accident. The big thing now (and has been) is the monthly payment, that's all the sales reps want to discuss! Not interest rates or final cost. If you want a new Denali and can only afford $350 a month then they can almost find a way to make it work. Of course the person buying the car ends up losing their butt in the deal if they actually look at the total cost. I'd rather dump that kind of change into my savings or retirement account and buy something used. I think they are of the same mindset after looking at a few dealerships.

Unfortunately some people take the 84 month route to get a payment they can manage to help them keep up with the Jones. I thought 72 was as long as it went, then out came 84 months. I am waiting on mortgage companies to just pick up car notes on 15 and 30 year terms at this point.

They might have to. Some of the higher end trucks and SUV's are going for what I bought my first house for.

no joke on both of these. We have a friend of the family that's done very well and he went up to the dealership my dad works at to get a brand new z71. Once it was all said and done he paid just under twice what I paid for the house im currently living in. I about fell the **** over.

My 24 year old daughter and son in law are looking at new vehicles since their 2004 was just totaled out due to an accident. The big thing now (and has been) is the monthly payment, that's all the sales reps want to discuss! Not interest rates or final cost. If you want a new Denali and can only afford $350 a month then they can almost find a way to make it work. Of course the person buying the car ends up losing their butt in the deal if they actually look at the total cost. I'd rather dump that kind of change into my savings or retirement account and buy something used. I think they are of the same mindset after looking at a few dealerships.

yup used is the way to go. over my last 5 vehicles I've purchased I've never lost a dollar on any of them and made a couple bucks on a few of them. If you buy good quality vehicles that have a decent following and keep them in good shape you'll never loose out. I tend to go after mid millage sports cars in winter drive them for a year and a 1/4 and sell them in spring.

I was lucky. After getting my arse burned badly on a 1995 GT ($24K sticker price, $29K to get it paid off in 5 years) I decided to buy used when I replaced the Mustang at 113K miles.

I bought a used (2 yr old) Explorer 2006 in 2008 with 18K miles on it for $22K cash from Enterprise Fleet. Drove it for a couple years without issue, then took a job that required travel. Booked 101K miles in 2.5 years @ .555 cents per mile reimbursement. After all operating costs I still paid for the car with mileage and it has 225K miles on it now and it's still going. I might sell it for a newer model but that will be used too and I will not spend more than $28K. I just can't see it. I've owned new but some douche will come along and dent it, scratch it or scrape it and you can't legally capture them and take them into the woods and torture them to death over a four week period, so....I'll buy used.

I was lucky. After getting my arse burned badly on a 1995 GT ($24K sticker price, $29K to get it paid off in 5 years) I decided to buy used when I replaced the Mustang at 113K miles.

I bought a used (2 yr old) Explorer 2006 in 2008 with 18K miles on it for $22K cash from Enterprise Fleet. Drove it for a couple years without issue, then took a job that required travel. Booked 101K miles in 2.5 years @ .555 cents per mile reimbursement. After all operating costs I still paid for the car with mileage and it has 225K miles on it now and it's still going. I might sell it for a newer model but that will be used too and I will not spend more than $28K. I just can't see it. I've owned new but some douche will come along and dent it, scratch it or scrape it and you can't legally capture them and take them into the woods and torture them to death over a four week period, so....I'll buy used.
That is if you get caught... jus sayin.

Back
Top Bottom