• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Work Stress?

I’m a workaholic and I try not to sweat the things out of my control. I sleep like a baby, possibly from exhaustion. Wake up at 5am and do it again. I’ve recently scaled back to doing my best not to work on Saturdays. There are people that are more intelligent than myself, but I beat that competition through tenacity and work effort. It’s how I’ve made it this far. I hope to be scaling back even more in the coming few years and that dream provides some peace.

I’m a workaholic and I try not to sweat the things out of my control. I sleep like a baby, possibly from exhaustion. Wake up at 5am and do it again. I’ve recently scaled back to doing my best not to work on Saturdays. There are people that are more intelligent than myself, but I beat that competition through tenacity and work effort. It’s how I’ve made it this far. I hope to be scaling back even more in the coming few years and that dream provides some peace.
My dad told me once, “it’s a good thing you don’t mind hard work, you don’t have anything else going for you “.

My dad told me once, “it’s a good thing you don’t mind hard work, you don’t have anything else going for you “.
Work effort will get you where you need to go every time, especially when people today want a 4 day, 32 hour work week. Makes the competition easy picking lol.

I think I’m getting one. I can’t really sleep anymore, either. It’s a good job. Just feel like I’m always behind.
That's a tough row to hoe my friend, I knew things were going south when I started drinking Pepto Bismol like water and popping Tums with every single meal.

That's a tough row to hoe my friend, I knew things were going south when I started drinking Pepto Bismol like water and popping Tums with every single meal.
I had a 5 year period when I worked for a COMPLETELY INCOMPETENT boss. It was clear this person got to that level by means "other than skills or results". It was a complete nightmare. Had an ulcer, lived on Zantac and Tums the entire time. Literally the day I changed roles and got away from this person, that all went away...stress is real, and it will kill you if left unaddressed.

I came to a realization years ago that took a lot of pressure off me. Sounds morbid but I started thinking about what would happen if I die today. I realized within 90 days…
All my employees would have jobs somewhere else as good or better than they have now.
All my customers would have contractors as good or better than they have now
My competitors would have a little more work.
Nothing I do at work really matters more than about ninety days. This perspective helps me not get wrapped up in the stress of it and just do my best.

And in regards to family.,.

My wife would have cashed a fat insurance check and be looking for a man as good or better :).
Her and the kids might miss me so I’ll focus on them the most :).

I think it's important to take advantage of your off time. It's easy in some work to go home, talk/think about work, and feel like you're just waiting to go back. You have to engage in hobbies, social interaction, or just some positive distraction every day you can. Otherwise, some people feel like a 40-hour work week, for example, is all-consuming.

Additionally, it's helpful to find some healthy level of apathy. That might sound bad. What I mean is there's a lot of ground between not giving a damn on one side of the spectrum and agonizing over everything on the other. We've all got to find that balance where we stay gainfully employed without getting ulcers.

I came to a realization years ago that took a lot of pressure off me. Sounds morbid but I started thinking about what would happen if I die today. I realized within 90 days…
All my employees would have jobs somewhere else as good or better than they have now.
All my customers would have contractors as good or better than they have now
My competitors would have a little more work.
Nothing I do at work really matters more than about ninety days. This perspective helps me not get wrapped up in the stress of it and just do my best.

And in regards to family.,.

My wife would have cashed a fat insurance check and be looking for a man as good or better :).
Her and the kids might miss me so I’ll focus on them the most :).
Couldn't agree more, NOBODY is indispensable...life goes on with or without you. When I quit the job that was killing me physically it made absolutely no difference to anyone but me.

d66b76e59f2370662044dd131d3c77e5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom