• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Work Stress?

Employers take the path of least resistance - they ride their good/best employees as hard as they can to make up for the bad/lazy employees. In a world of Woke corporate HQ and even Woker HR - the "best" employees will get ground down until these best employees 1) quit or 2) break. As others pointed out, the "company" will just move to the next "best" employee and so on. The bad/lazy employees will just keep sliding by with minimal demands placed on them.

Sadly, automation and AI will replace many jobs (my final role was VP Automation) until we live in a world of "Universal Basic Income".
^^ Truth ^^
The problem usually is when you finally realize that you’re carrying the load while others screw around, and slow down.
Then you’re branded as malcontent and not a team player, and start receiving extra supervision while the others just continue merrily along.
I worked under that system for 40 years, beat ‘em at their own game.

I’m reading all the replies gents. I just don’t have anything to add. Trying to calm down and just looking for advice.
What’s your career? What are your stressors at work?

I changed careers from restaurant management to liquor/wine sales several years ago. Better hours, pay, benefits. More time with the family. Long-term goals instead of day-to-day grind of the same thing. That helped a lot. Also realized I can’t fix everything at once instantly. Pick a few projects and work them through completion. Then pick the next few.

Don’t check email when off. Don’t talk about work. Be OFF for at least 2 days straight. Turn off the phone and get in the woods/play golf/shoot paper/chop wood, something to work off stress. Walk/run daily for at least 30 minutes. It all helped a bit.

like crippen crippen said, although I am very, very good at my job I am still replaceable to everyone but my family.

What’s your career? What are your stressors at work?

I changed careers from restaurant management to liquor/wine sales several years ago. Better hours, pay, benefits. More time with the family. Long-term goals instead of day-to-day grind of the same thing. That helped a lot. Also realized I can’t fix everything at once instantly. Pick a few projects and work them through completion. Then pick the next few.

Don’t check email when off. Don’t talk about work. Be OFF for at least 2 days straight. Turn off the phone and get in the woods/play golf/shoot paper/chop wood, something to work off stress. Walk/run daily for at least 30 minutes. It all helped a bit.

like crippen crippen said, although I am very, very good at my job I am still replaceable to everyone but my family.

Engineer degree, was in paper industry for 4 years, but now a natural resource manager for a bottle water company. I manage the water sources. My operating budget and forecasting stresses me out to no end.

This, a purring kitty, melts stress.

1702053806587.png

My operating budget and forecasting stresses me out to no end.
That's my career. To the extent possible, transparency and pushing down accountability, or at least visibility, as close to the implementers as possible, makes it a joint/shared responsibility. No one should carry it alone.

Engineer degree, was in paper industry for 4 years, but now a natural resource manager for a bottle water company. I manage the water sources. My operating budget and forecasting stresses me out to no end.
I despise budgets. The restaurant owner constantly pushed us for higher sales budgets. I hated the whole process.

If this is your first go round being a corporate cheese man ( manager) then just hang in there until you gain experience and figure things out. A mentor can be of help if available. Stress comes with the title you have. I assume you applied for this job and it was not forced upon you ?

Many years ago, I was driving into work everyday (in Chicago) and stopping at least twice on Clybourn Ave to puke on my way in. The douchebag I was reporting to was someone who made a huge ****ing mess of the West Coast software business (I spent three years undoing his shyte) of my company and I just generally despised him as a Midwestern, McDonald's fan, bowling shirt guy who'd take credit for others' work. Well, had a heart attack at 39. I doubt the company even dimmed a light bulb in my honor even though I'd just turned in 21 million dollars in new business in one year in a stale industry. I decided I didn't give a damn anymore.

If I cannot materially affect something positive or a solution with my own hands that can address the issue in front of me, I don't worry about it anymore. Why bother? No one else will. No "little elves" are going to come in while you are out sick and take over your work, I know. I tried that.

Do not "become your job." Whatever you do. Maintain a separate non-work identity.

If this is your first go round being a corporate cheese man ( manager) then just hang in there until you gain experience and figure things out. A mentor can be of help if available. Stress comes with the title you have. I assume you applied for this job and it was not forced upon you ?

Yes, true.

I was thinking the same if it’s the first couple of years in a fast paced job and you have to make decisions financially from the start while your learning the work/company culture it can be stressful. Like yardboss1 said hang in there it should get easier if you’re really this concerned about being an asset to the company and trying to be productive everyday it should get easier with time.

Back
Top Bottom