• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Work Stress?

The first thing is to realize "You are not your J O B!" Second, realize most of the pressure you feel is self inflicted. Once you realize that you need to decide if you are the problem, or is it the structure of the organization. thirdly. If others are allowed to be lazy and you're being burdened with unrealistic expectations while others are doing little. In this scenario you need to find a new employer. Lastly. Changing what you do and know can be scary, but also very invigorating and it can rejuvenate your outlook. So don't be afraid to change your profession. Remember, you are not your job.

I came to a realization years ago that took a lot of pressure off me. Sounds morbid but I started thinking about what would happen if I die today. I realized within 90 days…
All my employees would have jobs somewhere else as good or better than they have now.
All my customers would have contractors as good or better than they have now
My competitors would have a little more work.
Nothing I do at work really matters more than about ninety days. This perspective helps me not get wrapped up in the stress of it and just do my best.

And in regards to family.,.

My wife would have cashed a fat insurance check and be looking for a man as good or better :).
Her and the kids might miss me so I’ll focus on them the most :).

I'm reminded that the only people that will remember late nights and weekends of me being at work will be my children....
My father investigated crappy employers as the lion's share of his career and as such became very jaded realistic over time. He always said, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, your boss and fellow employees would stop for a moment and say "He was a good guy.....(brief pause)... Next!!"
It took a while for that to register, but I've seen enough to realize exactly how accurate that is.
Don't let ANY career suck joy out of your life. You may not know it, but your time here is limited. :nod:

cGc

Employers take the path of least resistance - they ride their good/best employees as hard as they can to make up for the bad/lazy employees. In a world of Woke corporate HQ and even Woker HR - the "best" employees will get ground down until these best employees 1) quit or 2) break. As others pointed out, the "company" will just move to the next "best" employee and so on. The bad/lazy employees will just keep sliding by with minimal demands placed on them.

Sadly, automation and AI will replace many jobs (my final role was VP Automation) until we live in a world of "Universal Basic Income".

My father investigated crappy employers as the lion's share of his career and as such became very jaded realistic over time. He always said, if I got hit by a bus tomorrow, your boss and fellow employees would stop for a moment and say "He was a good guy.....(brief pause)... Next!!"
It took a while for that to register, but I've seen enough to realize exactly how accurate that is.
Don't let ANY career suck joy out of your life. You may not know it, but your time here is limited. :nod:
#Fact

Employers take the path of least resistance - they ride their good/best employees as hard as they can to make up for the bad/lazy employees. In a world of Woke corporate HQ and even Woker HR - the "best" employees will get ground down until these best employees 1) quit or 2) break. As others pointed out, the "company" will just move to the next "best" employee and so on. The bad/lazy employees will just keep sliding by with minimal demands placed on them.

Sadly, automation and AI will replace many jobs (my final role was VP Automation) until we live in a world of "Universal Basic Income".
My grandad, who was pulled out of school at the age of (7) to pull cotton (poor family, everyone had to put in the work, school was viewed as something rich folk did) told me this - "The hardest worker is always in the worst position, the moment they slow down and start working like everyone else, the boss sees them as a slacker".

My point is I don’t work nights and weekends. I’m missing out on cash for sure but I’m also going to have lunch today at my sons school and pick my other kid up around 2.

Back
Top Bottom