• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Work Stress?

I was thinking the same if it’s the first couple of years in a fast paced job and you have to make decisions financially from the start while your learning the work/company culture it can be stressful. Like yardboss1 said hang in there it should get easier if you’re really this concerned about being an asset to the company and trying to be productive everyday it should get easier with time.

I’ve been with the company for a year now.

All work is stressful, there's risk involved, the game of life is stressful, we're all in and nobody is getting out alive.

The way to deal with it is purpose. Do you like what you're doing, are you working towards a goal? Or are you just clocking in and clocking out. Does 5 o'clock on Friday excite you?

You're young, if the corporate game is for you then drive yourself to the top relentlessly. If it's not for you start working relentlessly to get out. **** or get off the pot, don't stay in one spot.

Also Understand that this advice is coming from a loser who measures his success in how many people he offended with memes that day. But I am a genuinely happy person, when I'm with my wife and family at night I'm just a big playful goofball with zero stress. Money can't buy that.

Before I retired and people use to piss me off to the point of no return I had a tree out on my property that me and a ax use to go talk to for a little while...when it went down I started making pieces out of it, a real good stress reliever.......easier than hiding bodies...........good for my shoulders and back too.....and my attitude so I could go back to work.

Before I retired and people use to piss me off to the point of no return I had a tree out on my property that me and a ax use to go talk to for a little while...when it went down I started making pieces out of it, a real good stress reliever.......easier than hiding bodies...........good for my shoulders and back too.....and my attitude so I could go back to work.
I did something similar when I was about 27 or 28. FIL had a 30 acre gun range and we had a shelf at the lip of the quarry with poor pines on it. Ice storm hits, knocks most of them over at 45 degrees. I used an Estwing Long Handled Camping Axe to bring them down and limb and buck them. Got carpal tunnel in my forearms but horse liniment took care of that.

Good exercise and great stress relief.

I started in the construction industry as a painter with my father. Worked into the office doing estimates, then into the GC world. Left that to work on the owner’s side, now in development.

Each time I moved up through the industry, the problems got bigger and the dollars at risk on my mistakes did too. For years, I didn’t know how to say no. I took on everything I could, to the point of mentally draining and unbearable stress. I hit a wall and asked a mentor for some help.

Communication is key, along with working for and with the right people. Most of my stress over the years I brought on myself. I sat down with my boss last year when I got assigned a project that I knew I couldn’t manage. I called him, we went over what all I had on my plate and I gave him some options. Ended up hiring a construction management firm to handle the job and I basically just kept a watch over it. Way cheaper than me doing a half ass job of it.

It sounds like a cop out, but it’s not. If I had tried to manage it all, I would have missed something on another project. My projects now crack nine figures, and that’s a lot to me. When I miss something, it costs the company. My boss understood and we made it a point to discuss it at our last regional meeting.

Raising your hand and asking for help is not a sign of weakness but respect for everyone on your team. If you negligently accept responsibility for something and cannot deliver, it raises your stress and the teams.

Bad news is not a fine wine, it never ages well. Manage your workload and set expectations before you get underwater. There will be times when it’s all hands on deck, but communicate with your team and you should be able to keep it to a minimum.

If your boss or your team doesn’t understand, I would recommend finding somewhere else to work.

Back
Top Bottom